Old 17-05-2003, 02:08 AM
RichToyBox

Default salinity testing

The hydrometer needs to have a modification to be of any use. It reads PPT
max 40 which is 4% or about 13 times higher than you would ever want. Doc
Johnson shows a method of drilling a hole in the swing arm counterweight
about half way between the hinge and the point. Place in a container of
0.3% solution water (2.4 teaspoons per gallon) and see if it reads 30. If
it doesn't come up that high then drill the hole slightly larger. They are
designed for use in salt water aquaria. It is much easier and better to use
the liquid drop test kit.
--
RichToyBox

"*muffin*" wrote in message
ok, more questions (VBG)

I purchased a hydrometer which tests specific gravity & salinity in the
water.
( I wanted to test the salt content & then add salt to find out gallonage
for my pond)

when I 1st added the water,, I thought **YIKES** it read above 40!!!

but,,
dang I forgot to look at directions,,,,, it said to tap off the air
bubbles............**DUHH**

it now reads UNDER "0".. looks like maybe 2 points under (?)
the test kit reads in PPT's & they are listed in numbers from "0" to "40"
soooo how does this read as the testing goes? from the other posts its in
the ".00" readings,, do I read the markers as ".00" to ".40" ???

since the reading is UNDER "0" should I add 10 lbs of salt ( pond should

be
over 2500 gal) & get a reading? then add more to do the difference to

figure
out the gallonage? do I HAVE to wait 1 day?? or can it be checked after

the
salt has dissolved?
(HOW long does the salinity STAY in the pond?)