Old 17-05-2003, 04:08 AM
Dwayne

Default Few strawberries; many runners

Strawberries will normally do better the second and subsequent years (up to
a point). As far as the runners, I dig the new plants up and made my bed
larger. Then I mulched with an inch or two of pine needles. That keeps the
runners from setting roots, and I hope it will discourage slugs. They are
blooming now, and I expect fruit pretty soon.

Dwayne

"Polar" wrote in message

Sigh!

So much for my ambitious plan to put in 50 bareroot strawberries.

25 Quinault, 25 Ft. Laramie, both everbearing; I relied on grower's
assurance of best taste; also curious; had never grown these before.

Got a few berries once plants had taken hold and were very healthy.

Then not much, but LOTS of runners in one of the varieties. I lost
track of which, dammit!

Went out and snipped runners; hope that will help.

Any comments; suggestions?

--

Zone 24/8
So. Calif Coastal