Old 16-05-2003, 10:20 AM
Polar

Default Few strawberries; many runners

Sigh!

So much for my ambitious plan to put in 50 bareroot strawberries.

25 Quinault, 25 Ft. Laramie, both everbearing; I relied on grower's
assurance of best taste; also curious; had never grown these before.

Got a few berries once plants had taken hold and were very healthy.

Then not much, but LOTS of runners in one of the varieties. I lost
track of which, dammit!

Went out and snipped runners; hope that will help.

Any comments; suggestions?

--

Zone 24/8
So. Calif Coastal

Polar
Old 17-05-2003, 04:08 AM
Dwayne

Strawberries will normally do better the second and subsequent years (up to
a point). As far as the runners, I dig the new plants up and made my bed
larger. Then I mulched with an inch or two of pine needles. That keeps the
runners from setting roots, and I hope it will discourage slugs. They are
blooming now, and I expect fruit pretty soon.

Dwayne

Old 27-05-2003, 06:08 AM
Zphysics1

Sigh!

So much for my ambitious plan to put in 50 bareroot strawberries.

25 Quinault, 25 Ft. Laramie, both everbearing; I relied on grower's
assurance of best taste; also curious; had never grown these before.

Got a few berries once plants had taken hold and were very healthy.

Then not much, but LOTS of runners in one of the varieties. I lost
track of which, dammit!

Went out and snipped runners; hope that will help.

Any comments; suggestions?

--
Reply:

You did right. Cut the runners off. You are in So Cal, right. The weather has
been quirky. I suggest you also cut off the

Old 27-05-2003, 06:08 AM
Zphysics1

continued ---

cut off the older leaves. I have Quinalt, Camarosa, Sequoia. They have been
giving us enough long-stemmed strawberries for desert every night -- if we can
harvest them before the birds can get to them.

Good luck.

/z.
Old 27-05-2003, 12:32 PM
Tim B

strawberry netting is a fine and inexpensive thing. Lowes has it in 14x14,
you should find it near the landscape cloth

Old 28-05-2003, 12:44 AM
Hillary Israeli

In ,
Tim B wrote:

*don't let everbearers send out runners, keep removing them.

Why?

-hillary, whose everbearers have neither berries nor runners in any case

Old 29-05-2003, 05:21 AM
Tim B

The energy they use making runners takes away from the energy the have left
to do berries.

Ozark Beauty, in my humble experience, send out runners. It's one thing to
let a few runners migrate to bare spots in your strawberry patch, but you
want them generally to make berries.