Old 17-05-2003, 07:32 AM
*muffin*

Default victorias

which I wanted to do.
BUT, I was told it was to be treated like a tropical lily,, & that meant it
should have only 2-3 in. water above the plant.
so that meant,,,,,,,, propping it up!
(I"d like to know what is the maximum depth it could be)

so I wanted to see if anyone else had other info on them,,,,, like IF* I
could just 'drop' it!

"Lee Brouillet" wrote in message
Stupid suggestion from someone who doesn't actually know, but if the pond
isn't used for anything else, and the Victoria will be the only thing in

it,
and the bottom is all mooshy (probably meaning high organics), and you

don't
care if it spreads, why not just tie a rock to the roots and drop it in to
let it do its thing? Usually, pots are to contain the plant; you aren't
really worried about containment, and the mooshy stuff would be great
fertilizer all by itself.

Lee
"*muffin*" wrote in message
yup , know about the razors,
I have wanted this plant for 20 years,, .
I don't plan on handling it.......but the pond I'd put it into,,, well

its
not user-friendly & NEVER clear water,, always murky from the frogs

stirring
it all up,, so I'd never be able to tell *IF* a snapper crawled in

there!!
plus since the bottom is all MUSH I'm afraid I'd get stuck, IF I had to
fertilize it every month *sigh*...

I'd love to know if I could JUST sack it in burlap & drop it in to

grow,,( I
cannot even imagine trying to DRAG a 100 gallon POT into the water!!!)
the pond place said that they will do OK in a 15 " lily pot,,,,,,

hmmm,,
doubt it...

I've looked at what I can find on web & dejanews, but seems like the
simplest questions are not answered!

wrote in message
http://home.wi.rr.com/windyoaks/catalog/plpics~2.htm

she grows them from seed every year in water about 18" deep. they

really
want very
warm water. the pond she has them in isnt all that big, maybe 10 x

10'
... but you
do know they have spikes like razors? they rip up anything else in

the
pond. they
rip up people's hands. they are not user friendly in the least.

Ingrid

"*muffin*" wrote:

any suggestions on these plants?
what would be the minimum size surface area for this to grow nicely,

without
crowding everything else?

I wanted to just drop a burlap ball of dirt etc & plant to bottom of

an
outside pond..... maybe 3 feet+deep.. & let it settle in there, as

the
pond
is about 40'by40',,, but was told it had to be at a depth of only 18
inches,,,,,,,,,, same as lotus???

( also was told by the 'store' they only needed a 15"

container.......
would have thought al least a LARGE bushel/tub)

opinions? hints?