Old 12-05-2003, 10:08 PM
*muffin*

Default victorias

any suggestions on these plants?
what would be the minimum size surface area for this to grow nicely, without
crowding everything else?

I wanted to just drop a burlap ball of dirt etc & plant to bottom of an
outside pond..... maybe 3 feet+deep.. & let it settle in there, as the pond
is about 40'by40',,, but was told it had to be at a depth of only 18
inches,,,,,,,,,, same as lotus???

( also was told by the 'store' they only needed a 15" container....... I
would have thought al least a LARGE bushel/tub)

opinions? hints?

Old 13-05-2003, 04:56 AM
Tom La Bron

Muffin,

There are several varieties of "Victoria" lilies. Do a search on the
internet for "Victoria lily"; there are several very good sites out there
about these plants. They can tell you all you need to know or need to know.
I like one of the guys sites where he is standing on one of the lily pads in
his pond. One plants needs a lot of surface area to grow.

Tom L.L.
===============================

Old 15-05-2003, 06:20 AM

http://home.wi.rr.com/windyoaks/catalog/plpics~2.htm

she grows them from seed every year in water about 18" deep. they really want very
warm water. the pond she has them in isnt all that big, maybe 10 x 10' ... but you
do know they have spikes like razors? they rip up anything else in the pond. they
rip up people's hands. they are not user friendly in the least. Ingrid

Old 16-05-2003, 12:08 AM
*muffin*

yup , know about the razors,
I have wanted this plant for 20 years,, .
I don't plan on handling it.......but the pond I'd put it into,,, well its
not user-friendly & NEVER clear water,, always murky from the frogs stirring
it all up,, so I'd never be able to tell *IF* a snapper crawled in there!!
plus since the bottom is all MUSH I'm afraid I'd get stuck, IF I had to
fertilize it every month *sigh*...

I'd love to know if I could JUST sack it in burlap & drop it in to grow,,( I
cannot even imagine trying to DRAG a 100 gallon POT into the water!!!)
the pond place said that they will do OK in a 15 " lily pot,,,,,, hmmm,, I
doubt it...

I've looked at what I can find on web & dejanews, but seems like the
simplest questions are not answered!

Old 16-05-2003, 01:56 PM
Lee Brouillet

Stupid suggestion from someone who doesn't actually know, but if the pond
isn't used for anything else, and the Victoria will be the only thing in it,
and the bottom is all mooshy (probably meaning high organics), and you don't
care if it spreads, why not just tie a rock to the roots and drop it in to
let it do its thing? Usually, pots are to contain the plant; you aren't
really worried about containment, and the mooshy stuff would be great
fertilizer all by itself.

Old 17-05-2003, 07:32 AM
*muffin*

which I wanted to do.
BUT, I was told it was to be treated like a tropical lily,, & that meant it
should have only 2-3 in. water above the plant.
so that meant,,,,,,,, propping it up!
(I"d like to know what is the maximum depth it could be)

so I wanted to see if anyone else had other info on them,,,,, like IF* I
could just 'drop' it!

Old 17-05-2003, 04:08 PM
Nedra

Muffin, go to:
http://www.victoria-adventure.org
for the absolute best web site you'll ever find on the net.
Tons of information and pictures!

Nedra

Old 17-05-2003, 10:08 PM
joe

*muffin* wrote:

which I wanted to do.
BUT, I was told it was to be treated like a tropical lily,, & that meant it
should have only 2-3 in. water above the plant.
so that meant,,,,,,,, propping it up!
(I"d like to know what is the maximum depth it could be)

so I wanted to see if anyone else had other info on them,,,,, like IF* I
could just 'drop' it!

I was interested in these last year but decided they just used up too much
acerage. There was a really nice one at Quail Botanical Garden near San
Diego last fall. It was in bloom and everything. It was planted in a kiddie
pool and placed in a pond about 15-20' in diameter, I would guess about 2-3'
deep.

Joe