Old 17-05-2003, 10:56 AM
Janet Baraclough

Default Thorny shrubs

The message
from SusieThompson contains these words:

In message , Hussein
snipM. writes

The common Crataegus monogyna:

Pollinated by midges apparently, so, if you want a good harvest .....
it's gonna be a
scratchy summer.

Hawthorn is pollinated by midges?

I'd be surprised. Hawthorn flowers before the last frosts, and
therefore before midges become noticeably active in Scotland.

We live on West Coast of Scotland,
the land of the midge - are there any other trees, shrubs, etc that are
pollinated specifically by midges? We're beginning to plan our new
garden, so anything that specifically attracts midges could well be good
thing to avoid. Any help welcomed.

Midges conduct their life cycle in long damp grass and are most active
in shade, and humid still air, such as under trees. They don't like
sunlight, dry conditions, and breezes.

Janet.