Old 16-05-2003, 06:56 PM
Kay Easton

Default Thorny shrubs

In article , Hussein M.
writes
The common Crataegus monogyna:

Pollinated by midges apparently, so, if you want a good harvest ..... it's gonna
be a
scratchy summer.

Hence the scent of the flowers which is the same perfume, although less
strong, as that in faeces ... or so I was told a very long time ago
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
Old 16-05-2003, 07:56 PM
SusieThompson

In message , Hussein
snipM. writes

The common Crataegus monogyna:

Pollinated by midges apparently, so, if you want a good harvest .....
it's gonna be a
scratchy summer.

Hawthorn is pollinated by midges? We live on West Coast of Scotland,
the land of the midge - are there any other trees, shrubs, etc that are
pollinated specifically by midges? We're beginning to plan our new
garden, so anything that specifically attracts midges could well be good
thing to avoid. Any help welcomed.

--
Susie Thompson, Isle of Arran
SPAM BLOCK IN OPERATION! Replace "deadspam.com" with "arrandragons.co.uk" to
Old 17-05-2003, 12:08 AM
Hussein M.

On Fri, 16 May 2003 19:59:43 +0100, SusieThompson wrote:

In message , Hussein
snipM. writes

The common Crataegus monogyna:

Pollinated by midges apparently, so, if you want a good harvest .....
it's gonna be a
scratchy summer.

Hawthorn is pollinated by midges? We live on West Coast of Scotland,
the land of the midge - are there any other trees, shrubs, etc that are
pollinated specifically by midges? We're beginning to plan our new
garden, so anything that specifically attracts midges could well be good
thing to avoid. Any help welcomed.

From what I've gleaned midges pollinate flowers from the following in addition to the
Crataegus. There aren't actually that many unless you also include "insects in general".

These geniuses:
Cotoneaster, Chrysolepis, Castanopsis, Paris.

Hussein
Grow a little garden

spam block - for real addy, reverse letters of second level domain.
Old 17-05-2003, 10:08 AM
sw

Thank you all for your thoughts on my question about thorny shrubs.

=== Sam ===

Old 17-05-2003, 10:56 AM
Janet Baraclough

The message
from SusieThompson contains these words:

In message , Hussein
snipM. writes

The common Crataegus monogyna:

Pollinated by midges apparently, so, if you want a good harvest .....
it's gonna be a
scratchy summer.

Hawthorn is pollinated by midges?

I'd be surprised. Hawthorn flowers before the last frosts, and
therefore before midges become noticeably active in Scotland.

We live on West Coast of Scotland,
the land of the midge - are there any other trees, shrubs, etc that are
pollinated specifically by midges? We're beginning to plan our new
garden, so anything that specifically attracts midges could well be good
thing to avoid. Any help welcomed.

Midges conduct their life cycle in long damp grass and are most active
in shade, and humid still air, such as under trees. They don't like
sunlight, dry conditions, and breezes.

Janet.

Thorny plants - pyracantha WRabbit United Kingdom 13 21-05-2006 06:51 PM
Wanted: Deadly, Thorny Shrub Doug Kanter Gardening 54 03-12-2004 11:01 PM
A thorny problem Peter and Susan Australia 11 19-07-2004 09:12 PM
Thorny sugestions Sheepkeeper Roses 6 07-05-2003 02:20 PM
thorny vine ID? kate Gardening 5 06-02-2003 02:36 PM