Old 17-05-2003, 09:56 PM

Default victorias

call Marilyn. she actually has been down to where they grow several times and could
answer all your questions. call after dark central time. Ingrid

"*muffin*" wrote:

yup , know about the razors,
I have wanted this plant for 20 years,, .
I don't plan on handling it.......but the pond I'd put it into,,, well its
not user-friendly & NEVER clear water,, always murky from the frogs stirring
it all up,, so I'd never be able to tell *IF* a snapper crawled in there!!
plus since the bottom is all MUSH I'm afraid I'd get stuck, IF I had to
fertilize it every month *sigh*...

I'd love to know if I could JUST sack it in burlap & drop it in to grow,,( I
cannot even imagine trying to DRAG a 100 gallon POT into the water!!!)
the pond place said that they will do OK in a 15 " lily pot,,,,,, hmmm,, I
doubt it...

I've looked at what I can find on web & dejanews, but seems like the
simplest questions are not answered!

wrote in message
http://home.wi.rr.com/windyoaks/catalog/plpics~2.htm

she grows them from seed every year in water about 18" deep. they really

want very
warm water. the pond she has them in isnt all that big, maybe 10 x 10'

... but you
do know they have spikes like razors? they rip up anything else in the

pond. they
rip up people's hands. they are not user friendly in the least. Ingrid

"*muffin*" wrote:

any suggestions on these plants?
what would be the minimum size surface area for this to grow nicely,

without
crowding everything else?

I wanted to just drop a burlap ball of dirt etc & plant to bottom of an
outside pond..... maybe 3 feet+deep.. & let it settle in there, as the

pond
is about 40'by40',,, but was told it had to be at a depth of only 18
inches,,,,,,,,,, same as lotus???

( also was told by the 'store' they only needed a 15" container....... I
would have thought al least a LARGE bushel/tub)

opinions? hints?