Old 18-05-2003, 12:32 AM
James Meiss

Default Frog and fish species that can survive Denver (Colorado) high altitude climate?

In article ,
"BenignVanilla" m
wrote:

"Jean-Pierre Abello" wrote in message
om...
I am thinking of building a small frog & fish pond in my backyard in
Denver, Colorado. However because of the harsh climate and high
altitude (53000 ft), I need to find species that can survive the
occasional freezing temperatures and thin air of this region. Snow
falls frequently but normally does not stay for more than a few days.
Would anyone know of pond frogs and fish species that would well in
this climate? Thanks.

I live in Boulder...which is even a few hundred feet higher than the
mile high city. We have a 3ft deep pond with goldfish and shubunkin's
that overwinter just fine. My previous pond was more like 2-2.5 ft deep
and one winter it froze solid (fish fingers anyone?), but the 3ft depth
seems great--I get a layer of ice on the top (sometimes 8-10 inches),
but keep my waterfall running, or occasionally put a stock heater in to
keep an opening. Of course the last 3 or so winters have been
comparatively mild.

Our hardy lillies, water iris and some grasses overwinter well too.

--
James Meiss
http://amath.colorado.edu/faculty/jdm