Old 18-05-2003, 02:08 AM
Robin

Default identifying pepper plants by leaves??

I buy my pepper plants as seedlings from the nursery. I was there today and
can tell you that they had some plants that were way taller than the others.
They were sweet red peppers. When the seedlings are about the same size it
is hard to tell the difference appart from Habaneros which tend to have
broader leaves and a more rounded bush like appearance which is how they
mature. Perhaps you could take a trip to your local nursery. Here in NJ I am
lucky enough to have nurseries that supply 10 or more sweet and hot pepper
varieties. If you are into hot peppers try Thai Dragons they are hot but not
like habaneros.

Robin

DigitalVinyl wrote:
I screwed up. I didn't label some seedlings and I'm not sure if the
are Bell Peppers or Cayenne. One of the unlabelled has grown well--
maybe too well. It is amongst the tallest, but by far has large wide
green leaves.

Do bell or cayenne tend to be large leafed for their more mature
leaves? I know the answer is going to be no--and I will have no clue
what these plants are unless I let them mature.

I wondered if this big leafy growth was because of too much nitrogen,
but two seeds only three inches away in the same dirt are much shorter
and have no such larges leaves(same variety though).

DiGiTAL_ViNYL (no email)