Old 17-05-2003, 07:44 PM
DigitalVinyl

Default identifying pepper plants by leaves??

I screwed up. I didn't label some seedlings and I'm not sure if the
are Bell Peppers or Cayenne. One of the unlabelled has grown well--
maybe too well. It is amongst the tallest, but by far has large wide
green leaves.

Do bell or cayenne tend to be large leafed for their more mature
leaves? I know the answer is going to be no--and I will have no clue
what these plants are unless I let them mature.

I wondered if this big leafy growth was because of too much nitrogen,
but two seeds only three inches away in the same dirt are much shorter
and have no such larges leaves(same variety though).

DiGiTAL_ViNYL (no email)
Old 18-05-2003, 02:08 AM
Robin

I buy my pepper plants as seedlings from the nursery. I was there today and
can tell you that they had some plants that were way taller than the others.
They were sweet red peppers. When the seedlings are about the same size it
is hard to tell the difference appart from Habaneros which tend to have
broader leaves and a more rounded bush like appearance which is how they
mature. Perhaps you could take a trip to your local nursery. Here in NJ I am
lucky enough to have nurseries that supply 10 or more sweet and hot pepper
varieties. If you are into hot peppers try Thai Dragons they are hot but not
like habaneros.

Robin

Old 18-05-2003, 03:08 AM
DigitalVinyl

"Robin" wrote:

I buy my pepper plants as seedlings from the nursery. I was there today and
can tell you that they had some plants that were way taller than the others.
They were sweet red peppers. When the seedlings are about the same size it
is hard to tell the difference appart from Habaneros which tend to have
broader leaves and a more rounded bush like appearance which is how they
mature. Perhaps you could take a trip to your local nursery. Here in NJ I am
lucky enough to have nurseries that supply 10 or more sweet and hot pepper
varieties. If you are into hot peppers try Thai Dragons they are hot but not
like habaneros.

Robin

I stopped at a nursery today with many varieties of peppers. The bells
were the biggest plants and had the widest leaves. However I spotted a
few cayennes that had grown large and their leaves were clearly
widening as they got larger.

I guess I'll roll the dice and assume it is a bell.
DiGiTAL_ViNYL (no email)
Old 18-05-2003, 03:56 AM
KK from NJ

"Robin"
lucky enough to have nurseries that supply 10 or more sweet and hot pepper

If you're in NJ and you like peppers check out
http://www.chiliplants.com/

Old 18-05-2003, 05:08 AM
RJR

Can't speak to Cayenne and "Bell" peppers, but having just put out my
pepper starts today from the cold frame, I noticed the hot varieties
were all smaller leaved than the bell types. LOL Richard

"Even on the internet they can tell you're an A__hole"

Old 18-05-2003, 05:32 AM
Pam Rudd

When last we left our heros, on 18 May 2003 02:51:24 GMT,
(KK from NJ) scribbled:

"Robin"
lucky enough to have nurseries that supply 10 or more sweet and hot pepper

If you're in NJ and you like peppers check out
http://www.chiliplants.com/

Noooooooooo! Stop! Don't go there!

It's like crack cocaine! One hit, and you're hooked!

Run! Run away! Save yourself!

It's too late for me!

Pam, with over 20 varieties of peppers this year.

"ElissaAnn"
Old 18-05-2003, 05:32 AM
Pam Rudd

When last we left our heros, on Sat, 17 May 2003 22:10:55 -0400,
DigitalVinyl scribbled:

I stopped at a nursery today with many varieties of peppers. The bells
were the biggest plants and had the widest leaves. However I spotted a
few cayennes that had grown large and their leaves were clearly
widening as they got larger.

I guess I'll roll the dice and assume it is a bell.

What kind of bells did you plant? It is a short season or long
season pepper? Is it a taller or shorter variety? What kind of
caynnes did you plant?

Give me something to work with, although it shouldn't matter
as the pepper pods will certainly be distinct.

Pam, trying to squeeze in one more Brandywine tomato.

"ElissaAnn"
Old 18-05-2003, 02:44 PM
DigitalVinyl

Pam Rudd wrote:

When last we left our heros, on Sat, 17 May 2003 22:10:55 -0400,
DigitalVinyl scribbled:

I stopped at a nursery today with many varieties of peppers. The bells
were the biggest plants and had the widest leaves. However I spotted a
few cayennes that had grown large and their leaves were clearly
widening as they got larger.

I guess I'll roll the dice and assume it is a bell.

What kind of bells did you plant? It is a short season or long
season pepper? Is it a taller or shorter variety? What kind of
caynnes did you plant?

LOL. The Home Depot variety. I grabbed these selfstarter
pots-basically just seed tossed in clay pot of soil-so there is no
variety specific info. Next year I will be selecting specific ones to
grow.

Give me something to work with, although it shouldn't matter
as the pepper pods will certainly be distinct.

yeah It's just that I'm running out of room. I have a few spots left
open for pepper and tomato plants. I'm at the point where I have to
decide which plant gets transplanted to a nice sized sunny spot and
which go to transplant heaven. This particular plant, which I think is
a bell(red), would be the best one I have. The other bells are at
least a week or two of growth behind it.

DiGiTAL_ViNYL (no email)
Old 20-05-2003, 02:56 AM
Robin

KK from NJ wrote:
"Robin"
lucky enough to have nurseries that supply 10 or more sweet and hot
pepper

If you're in NJ and you like peppers check out
http://www.chiliplants.com/

Wow! Thanks for the link. I am about an hour away. I will have to take a
vist.

Thanks again, Robin

Old 24-05-2003, 01:44 AM
Bob Ahnmeischaft

"DigitalVinyl" wrote

Do bell or cayenne tend to be large leafed for their more mature
leaves? I know the answer is going to be no--and I will have no clue
what these plants are unless I let them mature.

True Cayenne pepper plants tend to have smaller, pointier leaves that sprout
all along the stem, whereas bells don't.

Jason