Old 18-05-2003, 10:44 AM
Kay Easton

Default Plant enquiry

In article , jane jane@moonrose.
demnospamon.co.uk writes
On Sat, 17 May 2003 21:52:18 GMT, (Shelley T) wrote:

~On Sat, 17 May 2003 22:30:07 +0100, "Saffy"
~wrote:
~
~
~I have a plant in my garden that my husband dug up from the garden at his
~parents new house, We have no idea what is is, but he likes it and wants it
~to stay - could anyone identify it please? I created a webshots album with
~a couple of photos as I couldn't find anywhere else to upload the pictures
~to. They can be found at
http://community.webshots.com/user/4weekids
~
~Euphorbia Lathyris
~aka The Mole Plant, cos it's supposed to deter them. I don't have
~either, so can't comment on the aptness of its name :-)
~

Shelley, you posted this within a minute of my haven't-a-clue reply! Gosh,
it's sap is horribly poisonous, isn't it? Found a load of websites, most of
which have big warnings up!

Saffy, if you've got four wee kids, perhaps it's better not having this
weird plant about...

Euphorbia lathyrus - Caper spurge. I have had this plant in all the
gardens I have had, and have never once planted it! I don't think it's
native, but it's certainly one of these plants that has escaped from
gardens in the past and made itself at home here.

Saffy - you know your own kids - but if you were to remove all the
harmful plants from your garden you would lose an awful lot of plants we
all take for granted. Better to teach them never ever to eat or pick
anything without bringing you over to look at it first. And that way you
know they'll be safe, not just in your garden, but in friends' gardens
and in parks and the countryside as well.
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page: