Old 17-05-2003, 10:32 PM
Saffy

Default Plant enquiry

I subscribed to this ng last summer when I needed to know the name of a
plant we have in our garden. I realized that you lot are all so
knowledgable that I am still subscribed a year on! I don't post much as my
gardening knowledge is very limited but I contribute when I can.

I have a plant in my garden that my husband dug up from the garden at his
parents new house, We have no idea what is is, but he likes it and wants it
to stay - could anyone identify it please? I created a webshots album with
a couple of photos as I couldn't find anywhere else to upload the pictures
to. They can be found at http://community.webshots.com/user/4weekids

Thanks in advance.

Saffy.

Old 17-05-2003, 10:44 PM
Shelley T

On Sat, 17 May 2003 22:30:07 +0100, "Saffy"
wrote:

I have a plant in my garden that my husband dug up from the garden at his
parents new house, We have no idea what is is, but he likes it and wants it
to stay - could anyone identify it please? I created a webshots album with
a couple of photos as I couldn't find anywhere else to upload the pictures
to. They can be found at http://community.webshots.com/user/4weekids

Euphorbia Lathyris
aka The Mole Plant, cos it's supposed to deter them. I don't have
either, so can't comment on the aptness of its name :-)

Old 17-05-2003, 10:56 PM
jane

~
~I have a plant in my garden that my husband dug up from the garden at his
~parents new house, We have no idea what is is, but he likes it and wants it
~to stay - could anyone identify it please? I created a webshots album with
~a couple of photos as I couldn't find anywhere else to upload the pictures
~to. They can be found at http://community.webshots.com/user/4weekids
~
yikes! It looks alien!
I have no idea, never seen anything like it, but I'd like to know myself...
Where exactly was it dug up from?

hope somebody knows...

--
jane

Mark Twain

Please remove nospam from replies, thanks!
Old 17-05-2003, 11:08 PM
jane

On Sat, 17 May 2003 21:52:18 GMT, (Shelley T) wrote:

~On Sat, 17 May 2003 22:30:07 +0100, "Saffy"
~wrote:
~
~
~I have a plant in my garden that my husband dug up from the garden at his
~parents new house, We have no idea what is is, but he likes it and wants it
~to stay - could anyone identify it please? I created a webshots album with
~a couple of photos as I couldn't find anywhere else to upload the pictures
~to. They can be found at
http://community.webshots.com/user/4weekids
~
~Euphorbia Lathyris
~aka The Mole Plant, cos it's supposed to deter them. I don't have
~either, so can't comment on the aptness of its name :-)
~

Shelley, you posted this within a minute of my haven't-a-clue reply! Gosh,
it's sap is horribly poisonous, isn't it? Found a load of websites, most of
which have big warnings up!

Saffy, if you've got four wee kids, perhaps it's better not having this
weird plant about...

(you learn something every day :-) especially on this newsgroup!)

Old 17-05-2003, 11:08 PM
Liz

wrote:

I have a plant in my garden that my husband dug up from the garden at his
parents new house, We have no idea what is is, but he likes it and wants

it
to stay - could anyone identify it please? I created a webshots album

with
a couple of photos as I couldn't find anywhere else to upload the

pictures
to. They can be found at http://community.webshots.com/user/4weekids

Euphorbia Lathyris
aka The Mole Plant, cos it's supposed to deter them. I don't have
either, so can't comment on the aptness of its name :-)

I second the ID. I grew it, but found it too 'architectural' for my garden
and gave it away. It's nice enough, but almost artificially regular, so
your eyes kind of swerve towards it. If a plant were designed by the MOD it
would look like this.

Liz

Old 17-05-2003, 11:56 PM
bnd777

wrote:

I have a plant in my garden that my husband dug up from the garden at his
parents new house, We have no idea what is is, but he likes it and wants

it
to stay - could anyone identify it please? I created a webshots album

with
a couple of photos as I couldn't find anywhere else to upload the

pictures
to. They can be found at http://community.webshots.com/user/4weekids

Euphorbia Lathyris
aka The Mole Plant, cos it's supposed to deter them. I don't have
either, so can't comment on the aptness of its name :-)

Its georgous wish I had one .......I know Euphorbias sap is poisonous but oh
there is such a lovely range of so different plants in the species

Old 18-05-2003, 10:44 AM
Kay Easton

In article , jane jane@moonrose.
demnospamon.co.uk writes
On Sat, 17 May 2003 21:52:18 GMT, (Shelley T) wrote:

~On Sat, 17 May 2003 22:30:07 +0100, "Saffy"
~wrote:
~
~
[...]

Euphorbia lathyrus - Caper spurge. I have had this plant in all the
gardens I have had, and have never once planted it! I don't think it's
native, but it's certainly one of these plants that has escaped from
gardens in the past and made itself at home here.

Saffy - you know your own kids - but if you were to remove all the
harmful plants from your garden you would lose an awful lot of plants we
all take for granted. Better to teach them never ever to eat or pick
anything without bringing you over to look at it first. And that way you
know they'll be safe, not just in your garden, but in friends' gardens
and in parks and the countryside as well.
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
Old 18-05-2003, 03:44 PM
Saffy

wrote:

[...]

Thanks for all the replies - I think we will probably keep it (for the
meantime anyway) as it is currently at the back of a bed and well out of
reach of my nearly 2 year old. The rest have all been warned not to pick
any of the plants without me letting them.

It was dug up in Ross-on-Wye, but has been here in rainy Ayrshire since last
summer so is pretty hardy. To be honest, its not really to my taste but
I've got to let someone else have a say in the plants occasionally!

Saffy.

Old 19-05-2003, 05:56 PM
Michael Berridge

Saffy wrote in message ...

Thanks for all the replies - I think we will probably keep it (for the
meantime anyway) as it is currently at the back of a bed and well out

of
reach of my nearly 2 year old. The rest have all been warned not to

pick
any of the plants without me letting them.

It was dug up in Ross-on-Wye, but has been here in rainy Ayrshire since

last
summer so is pretty hardy. To be honest, its not really to my taste

but
I've got to let someone else have a say in the plants occasionally!

It will self seed if you allow it to, and the seeds appear viable for
several years and can lie dormant for some of those years, I have it
often, but then there are years when it doesn't grow, but the next year
it is back.

Mike
www.british-naturism.org.uk