Old 18-05-2003, 06:32 PM
DesertPond

Default I could use some advice on pond plants

Sorry for the delayed response.

I think your right, whenever they say full sun it usually means
someplace up North that hasn't seen the sun for 200 yrs. :-)
We get pretty thoroughly baked here.

On Fri, 16 May 2003 19:47:16 -0600, John Rutz
wrote:

DesertPond wrote:
My plants seem to live, but thriving they are not. I'm in Arizona,
full sun (lot-a-sun) the water parameters are all 0 with the exception
of the ph 8.6 (might be the problem) we have hard water. The salt
content is .1% I use coral sand as the buffering agent and it keeps it
at about the same 8.6 that comes out of the tap. The koi and goldfish
are doing great since there's no fluctuation, but I think maybe it's
killing the plants.

The hyacinth sort of sits there and looks kinda melted. Duckweed and
Azolla survive but certainly don't more than a few inches of surface
area. The lilys do ok but don't bloom.

Is it the ph? A lack of nutrients? I have a couple of large filters so
no ammonia or nitirite. Salt? I tried potash and koi clay no luck
there either. Any ideas?

thanks

probly the ph and sun I cant get hyatinth to do much more than survive
it does spread but never gets more than 4 inch high and duckweed just
doesnt survive my koi my lilies do bloom but not as much as they should
maybe one or two blooms a month they dont grow much either
when they say full sun for a plant they mean 4-6 hours not the 16+ we
in the desert get :-)