Old 16-05-2003, 06:44 PM
DesertPond

Default I could use some advice on pond plants

My plants seem to live, but thriving they are not. I'm in Arizona,
full sun (lot-a-sun) the water parameters are all 0 with the exception
of the ph 8.6 (might be the problem) we have hard water. The salt
content is .1% I use coral sand as the buffering agent and it keeps it
at about the same 8.6 that comes out of the tap. The koi and goldfish
are doing great since there's no fluctuation, but I think maybe it's
killing the plants.

The hyacinth sort of sits there and looks kinda melted. Duckweed and
Azolla survive but certainly don't more than a few inches of surface
area. The lilys do ok but don't bloom.

Is it the ph? A lack of nutrients? I have a couple of large filters so
no ammonia or nitirite. Salt? I tried potash and koi clay no luck
there either. Any ideas?

thanks

Old 17-05-2003, 01:20 AM
Jerrispond

My plants seem to live, but thriving they are not. I'm in Arizona,full sun
(lot-a-sun) the water parameters are all 0 with the exceptionof the ph 8.6
(might be the problemIs it the ph? A lack of nutrients? I have a couple of
large filters sono ammonia or nitirite. Salt

I have no idea about the salt content.....but your ph is fine....I would
fertilize, but especially add a few tablespoons per 1000 gallons of potash....
The numbers on the bag are 0-0-60....It did wonders for my plants. Jerri

Old 17-05-2003, 02:56 AM
John Rutz

DesertPond wrote:
My plants seem to live, but thriving they are not. I'm in Arizona,
full sun (lot-a-sun) the water parameters are all 0 with the exception
of the ph 8.6 (might be the problem) we have hard water. The salt
content is .1% I use coral sand as the buffering agent and it keeps it
at about the same 8.6 that comes out of the tap. The koi and goldfish
are doing great since there's no fluctuation, but I think maybe it's
killing the plants.

The hyacinth sort of sits there and looks kinda melted. Duckweed and
Azolla survive but certainly don't more than a few inches of surface
area. The lilys do ok but don't bloom.

Is it the ph? A lack of nutrients? I have a couple of large filters so
no ammonia or nitirite. Salt? I tried potash and koi clay no luck
there either. Any ideas?

thanks

probly the ph and sun I cant get hyatinth to do much more than survive
it does spread but never gets more than 4 inch high and duckweed just
doesnt survive my koi my lilies do bloom but not as much as they should
maybe one or two blooms a month they dont grow much either
when they say full sun for a plant they mean 4-6 hours not the 16+ we
in the desert get :-)
--

John Rutz
Z5 New Mexico

good judgement comes from bad experience, and that comes from bad
judgement

see my pond at:

http://www.fuerjefe.com

Old 18-05-2003, 06:32 PM
DesertPond

Sorry for the delayed response.

I think your right, whenever they say full sun it usually means
someplace up North that hasn't seen the sun for 200 yrs. :-)
We get pretty thoroughly baked here.

Old 18-05-2003, 10:32 PM
Ted

I am in Houston, and my pond is on the west side of my house. I too know
what you mean about full sun and hot weather. I just use those big plant
stakes for evergreens and throw one of those in every couple of montha or so
and my plant do well.
I have some pictures from last year and have to put new ones this year
yet.....

Lisa
http://community.webshots.com/user/ldziedzic2001

Old 18-05-2003, 10:44 PM
DesertPond

Do you put the plant stakes in the individual pots, or
just in the pond to dissolve? Your pond looks great
by the way.

On Sun, 18 May 2003 21:36:17 GMT, "Ted"
wrote:

I am in Houston, and my pond is on the west side of my house. I too know
what you mean about full sun and hot weather. I just use those big plant
stakes for evergreens and throw one of those in every couple of montha or so
and my plant do well.
I have some pictures from last year and have to put new ones this year
yet.....

Lisa
http://community.webshots.com/user/ldziedzic2001

.. .

Old 22-05-2003, 06:56 AM
adavisus

I'll guess its the high ph, first. Most aquatic plants evolved to
thrive in lowland waters which are usually between 5.5ph and 7ph

A simple test would be to set a bucket of pond water aside, adjust the
ph by adding something measurably acid for example peat, crank the ph
down to 7ph and sit back and see if it works... If the water hyacinth
appears to thrive significantly better a week later, consider topping
up your pond with rain water from your roof, rather than the usual
hard water, or get used to the idea that your hard water is limiting
what aquatic plants you can grow...

Regards, andy
http://www.members.aol.com/abdavisnc/swglist.html
(andys aquatic plant list for interesting swaps

I assume water lilies are like other plants and produce more blooms if dead
headed. That's swell for ones I can easily reach, but does anyone have a
handy tool or solution for the ones I have to get into the pond to clip?