Old 18-05-2003, 08:20 PM
Snooze

Default Suckers: Why remove them?

Most roses sold these days have a bud grafted onto root stock. As you have
discovered the root stock is often a different kind of rose. Eventually the
graft will die off, and the root will send up it's own branches. Allowing
suckers to grow speeds up this process.

This is why own root are preferred, but they require more work and time at
the nursery, so they cost more.

Sameer

"GamePlayer No. 1058" wrote in message
I had what I think is a sucker come up last year, it came out from the

dirt
near the base of this 9 year old plant. It grew like wildfire, at least 7
feet. My partner said to remove it and that it was a bad thing, but I

didnt
listen to him and just cut it down to about 3 feet. This year it has a
branch coming off of it thats like 4 feet long and absolutely filled with

red flower whereas the rest of the flowers on this plant are pink. The
plant is a J&P Color Magic.

Is the oddball offshoot flowers different because they grafted the color
magic to a different species of rootball?

And what is the downside of suckers and leaving them on the plant?