Old 18-05-2003, 08:32 PM
GamePlayer No. 1058

Default Suckers: Why remove them?

This also explains the mystery "wild" rose climber that grew up in my yard 2
years ago. I used to have a yellow climber near where this one came up, and
my tennants at the time said the yellow bush blew down in a violent wind
storm, 2 years later this pathetic looking twig slightly resembling a rose
came out near where the old one used to be. Must be a sucker that grew out
of the ground of the root of the original rose. Now it's bushy as all can
be and 12 to 20 feet long on the longest stem, and covers a trellis around
my patio now. Now I know where it came from.

"Snooze" wrote in message
link.net...
: Most roses sold these days have a bud grafted onto root stock. As you have
: discovered the root stock is often a different kind of rose. Eventually
the
: graft will die off, and the root will send up it's own branches. Allowing
: suckers to grow speeds up this process.
:
: This is why own root are preferred, but they require more work and time at
: the nursery, so they cost more.
:
: Sameer
:
: "GamePlayer No. 1058" wrote in message
: news:b775f7494fd4c1942b8aa8b4d7824223@TeraNews...
: I had what I think is a sucker come up last year, it came out from the
: dirt
: near the base of this 9 year old plant. It grew like wildfire, at least
7
: feet. My partner said to remove it and that it was a bad thing, but I
: didnt
: listen to him and just cut it down to about 3 feet. This year it has a
: branch coming off of it thats like 4 feet long and absolutely filled
with
: a
: red flower whereas the rest of the flowers on this plant are pink. The
: plant is a J&P Color Magic.
:
: Is the oddball offshoot flowers different because they grafted the color
: magic to a different species of rootball?
:
: And what is the downside of suckers and leaving them on the plant?
:
:
:
: