Old 18-05-2003, 08:56 PM
Anthony E Anson

Default Keeping opened seed packets?

The message
from "Drakanthus" contains these words:

Do brassica and other veg seeds keep from one year to the next? If so what
is the best way to do this?

Yes, but viability might decline a little. Keep dry, say in sealed
polythene bags. I planted some perpetual spinach last year. Came across
the packet in a box of bits - dated 1989. More than half of them
germinated.

There are always far too many cabbage seeds in a packet (Durham early) and
rather than waste any I plant the lot and typically get 100% germination.
This means we have a serious glut of cabbage at this time of the year. No
visitors are allowed to leave without taking a cabbage with them. Our
neighbours help, but they can only eat so many. We eat cabbage everyday and
will soon start to look like cabbages. I am on the verge of grabbing
pedestrians as they walk past the house "Pssst, Mister, Want a cabbage?".

You can come over and visit me any time...

--
Tony
Replace solidi with dots to reply: tony/anson snailything zetnet/co/uk

http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi