Old 18-05-2003, 11:08 AM
Drakanthus

Default Keeping opened seed packets?

Do brassica and other veg seeds keep from one year to the next? If so what
is the best way to do this?

There are always far too many cabbage seeds in a packet (Durham early) and
rather than waste any I plant the lot and typically get 100% germination.
This means we have a serious glut of cabbage at this time of the year. No
visitors are allowed to leave without taking a cabbage with them. Our
neighbours help, but they can only eat so many. We eat cabbage everyday and
will soon start to look like cabbages. I am on the verge of grabbing
pedestrians as they walk past the house "Pssst, Mister, Want a cabbage?".
--
Drakanthus.

(Spam filter: Include the word VB anywhere in the subject line or emails
will never reach me.)

Old 18-05-2003, 03:32 PM
Sue & Bob Hobden

"Drakanthus" wrote in message
Do brassica and other veg seeds keep from one year to the next? If so what
is the best way to do this?

There are always far too many cabbage seeds in a packet (Durham early) and
rather than waste any I plant the lot and typically get 100% germination.
This means we have a serious glut of cabbage at this time of the year. No
visitors are allowed to leave without taking a cabbage with them. Our
neighbours help, but they can only eat so many. We eat cabbage everyday

and
will soon start to look like cabbages. I am on the verge of grabbing
pedestrians as they walk past the house "Pssst, Mister, Want a cabbage?".
--

We use most of them from year to year without trouble. Just reseal the
packet and put somewhere cool and dry, we use the under-stairs cupboard.

--
Bob

Runnymede fighting for it's existence.

Old 18-05-2003, 06:32 PM
Helen

Yes. Brassica seeds will keep for years and years. Also runner bean
seeds. just keep them in a cool dry place. Me? I keep mine in a
biscuit tin in the larder.
Old 18-05-2003, 06:44 PM
Natalie

"Helen" wrote in message
om...
Yes. Brassica seeds will keep for years and years. Also runner bean
seeds. just keep them in a cool dry place. Me? I keep mine in a
biscuit tin in the larder.

That'll be a disappointment when you fancy a biscuit ;-)

Natalie

Old 18-05-2003, 07:56 PM
NWalch

The fridge is meant to be a good place to store seed. not a wife pleaser though.

Nick

Old 18-05-2003, 08:44 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Sue & Bob Hobden wrote:

"Drakanthus" wrote in message
Do brassica and other veg seeds keep from one year to the next? If so what
is the best way to do this?

We use most of them from year to year without trouble. Just reseal the
packet and put somewhere cool and dry, we use the under-stairs cupboard.
Normally buy new if more than two years old.

I find that most will keep for 5 years, and that the conventional
rules of which will and won't are unreliable. It depends on the
condition when you buy them and the variety as much as the species.

I keep mine in a USA army surplus 0.5" machine gun ammunition box,
which was originally airtight is still is pretty good.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 18-05-2003, 08:56 PM
Anthony E Anson

The message
from "Drakanthus" contains these words:

Do brassica and other veg seeds keep from one year to the next? If so what
is the best way to do this?

Yes, but viability might decline a little. Keep dry, say in sealed
polythene bags. I planted some perpetual spinach last year. Came across
the packet in a box of bits - dated 1989. More than half of them
germinated.

There are always far too many cabbage seeds in a packet (Durham early) and
rather than waste any I plant the lot and typically get 100% germination.
This means we have a serious glut of cabbage at this time of the year. No
visitors are allowed to leave without taking a cabbage with them. Our
neighbours help, but they can only eat so many. We eat cabbage everyday and
will soon start to look like cabbages. I am on the verge of grabbing
pedestrians as they walk past the house "Pssst, Mister, Want a cabbage?".

You can come over and visit me any time...

--
Tony
Replace solidi with dots to reply: tony/anson snailything zetnet/co/uk

http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi
Old 19-05-2003, 01:32 PM
don

"Drakanthus" wrote in message
Do brassica and other veg seeds keep from one year to the next? If so what
is the best way to do this?

There are always far too many cabbage seeds in a packet (Durham early) and
rather than waste any I plant the lot and typically get 100% germination.
This means we have a serious glut of cabbage at this time of the year. No
visitors are allowed to leave without taking a cabbage with them. Our
neighbours help, but they can only eat so many. We eat cabbage everyday

and
will soon start to look like cabbages. I am on the verge of grabbing
pedestrians as they walk past the house "Pssst, Mister, Want a cabbage?".
--
Drakanthus.

(Spam filter: Include the word VB anywhere in the subject line or emails
will never reach me.)

Still using a variety of seeds collected 5 years ago-all perennial type
plants--I guess veg seeds will last as long

Old 19-05-2003, 01:44 PM
Tim

I am on the verge of grabbing
pedestrians as they walk past the house "Pssst, Mister, Want a
cabbage?".

Ever thought of seling them to the Germans? They'll pickle and ferment them
in lactic acid then sell it to the Americans to put on their hotdogs. :-)
Tim.
Old 19-05-2003, 05:20 PM
Michael Saunby

"Helen" wrote in message
om...
Yes. Brassica seeds will keep for years and years. Also runner bean
seeds. just keep them in a cool dry place. Me? I keep mine in a
biscuit tin in the larder.

Although seeds are often sold in sealed dry packs these days it can't
always be the best way to preserve them. Weed seed such as dock and poppy
seem to survive for decades in undisturbed damp soil only to germinate when
the soil is disturbed. Maybe darkness is the most important thing.

Michael Saunby

Old 20-05-2003, 01:08 PM
Edwin Spector

NWalch wrote:

The fridge is meant to be a good place to store seed. not a wife pleaser though.

Quite right - don't put your "wife pleaser" in the 'fridge!