Old 18-05-2003, 10:56 PM
Matt

Default Colorado Blue Spruce questions

I have a Blue Spruce, which is about a good 7 feet tall and I have had
it about 3 years. I'm not sure exactly how old the tree is. I live
in the Northeastern part of the U.S. Some questions I have a

1. Regrettably I found this now, as opposed to the winter. During one
of our bad snow storms, a branch split. This branch comes out of the
main trunk, then branches out to two branches. Basically it comes out
of the main trunk, and has a V joint. Now the split is right on the V
joint, so it still has a hold onto the main trunk. Neither of the
branches are dying (at least not yet, I don't see anything wrong). My
question is, how can I fix this? Or do I need to? There is sap that
is oozing out. It doesn't look like anything bored itself into the
break. Should I be concerened? Should I try to tie it up together?
Or should I apply something over the break to heal it and prevent
anything from going in? Do I have to worry about the weight that is
now on the rest of the branch?

2. When is the proper time to trim the candles (new growth) on the
Blue Spruce? I'm more used to pines which have long candles and I can
judge when to trim them. I'm not sure how big the candles on the
Spruce get.

3. What is the proper way to trim branches? That is cut them past the
candles? Or should this not be done?

Thanks in advance,
Matt