Old 18-05-2003, 10:56 PM
Matt

Default Colorado Blue Spruce questions

I have a Blue Spruce, which is about a good 7 feet tall and I have had
it about 3 years. I'm not sure exactly how old the tree is. I live
in the Northeastern part of the U.S. Some questions I have a

1. Regrettably I found this now, as opposed to the winter. During one
of our bad snow storms, a branch split. This branch comes out of the
main trunk, then branches out to two branches. Basically it comes out
of the main trunk, and has a V joint. Now the split is right on the V
joint, so it still has a hold onto the main trunk. Neither of the
branches are dying (at least not yet, I don't see anything wrong). My
question is, how can I fix this? Or do I need to? There is sap that
is oozing out. It doesn't look like anything bored itself into the
break. Should I be concerened? Should I try to tie it up together?
Or should I apply something over the break to heal it and prevent
anything from going in? Do I have to worry about the weight that is
now on the rest of the branch?

2. When is the proper time to trim the candles (new growth) on the
Blue Spruce? I'm more used to pines which have long candles and I can
judge when to trim them. I'm not sure how big the candles on the
Spruce get.

3. What is the proper way to trim branches? That is cut them past the
candles? Or should this not be done?

Thanks in advance,
Matt
Old 18-05-2003, 11:44 PM
Timothy

On Sun, 18 May 2003 14:52:27 -0700, Matt wrote:

[...]

As far as #1 goes... I would put a 2 inch sheet rock screw into it. Screw
the split branch back together. This will not work on a small (1 inch)
branch. If the branch is over 3 inches, I'd select a 2 1/2 X 1/4 lag bolt.
The bolt length will vary with the thickness of the split branch. In time
the tree branch will grow over the bolt/screw.

--
http://yard-works.netfirms.com

Old 19-05-2003, 01:56 AM
David J. Bockman

Spruce are pinched back with the fingers when the extending bud is egg
shaped... this would be very time consuming on a large tree though, whi do
you wish to prune it?

Dave

. ..

Old 19-05-2003, 07:44 AM
Dr. Rev. Chuck, M.D. P.A.

Timothy wrote:

As far as #1 goes... I would put a 2 inch sheet rock screw into it. Screw
the split branch back together. This will not work on a small (1 inch)
branch. If the branch is over 3 inches, I'd select a 2 1/2 X 1/4 lag bolt.
The bolt length will vary with the thickness of the split branch. In time
the tree branch will grow over the bolt/screw.

This wouldn't blow up a chainsaw? Would a wooden peg (tapered for friction
fit) hold as effectively?
Old 19-05-2003, 02:32 PM
Penny Morgan

I was born and raised in upstate NY - born in Plattsburgh and lived in
Champlain, W. Chazy, Albany, Saratoga until moving to Raleigh, NC about 8
years ago. We had numerous Colorado Blue Spruces in our yard. They did not
need any pruning and did wonderfully. As far as the split on the branch, I
would tie it up and make it appear as it originally was as close as you
possibly can. Trees do not always show signs of distress immediately and
will die a slow death. Unfortunately, the Colorado Blue Spruce does not
prosper here in this heat and humidity. Instead, I will be planting some
Carolina Sapphires this fall, which are bluish in color, but not as pretty
as the Colorado was. Good luck.

Penny
Zone 7b - North Carolina
. ..

Old 19-05-2003, 06:20 PM
Timothy

On Mon, 19 May 2003 02:38:16 -0700, Dr. Rev. Chuck, M.D. P.A. wrote:

Timothy wrote:

As far as #1 goes... I would put a 2 inch sheet rock screw into it.
Screw the split branch back together. This will not work on a small (1
inch) branch. If the branch is over 3 inches, I'd select a 2 1/2 X 1/4
lag bolt. The bolt length will vary with the thickness of the split
branch. In time the tree branch will grow over the bolt/screw.

This wouldn't blow up a chainsaw? Would a wooden peg (tapered for
friction fit) hold as effectively?

I've never used a tapered peg before. I guess it could work for a small
split. After it's bolted / screwed I doubt that anyone would ever chainsaw
that area. Besides, you should be able to see the bolt for a good while,
if not forever. Sometimes the tree doesn't heal over it. I've done 5 trees
in this manner now. It was shown to me by an arborist friend a few years
back. If the split / damage is exstensive, then lag bolting is not likely
the answer. It probably best to remove the damage.
--
http://yard-works.netfirms.com

Old 20-05-2003, 09:44 AM
gregpresley

Penny, you might consider a blue Atlas cedar. The general size, shape and
color is somewhat similar to a Colorado blue spruce, although the tops nod,
and the branches are not symmetrical. There are some massive ones at the
Duke Gardens in the Raleigh/Durham area, so I know they can be grown in
North Carolina.
"Penny Morgan" wrote in message
. com...
I was born and raised in upstate NY - born in Plattsburgh and lived in
Champlain, W. Chazy, Albany, Saratoga until moving to Raleigh, NC about 8
years ago. We had numerous Colorado Blue Spruces in our yard. They did

not
need any pruning and did wonderfully. As far as the split on the branch,

would tie it up and make it appear as it originally was as close as you
possibly can. Trees do not always show signs of distress immediately and
will die a slow death. Unfortunately, the Colorado Blue Spruce does not
prosper here in this heat and humidity. Instead, I will be planting some
Carolina Sapphires this fall, which are bluish in color, but not as pretty
as the Colorado was. Good luck.

Penny
Zone 7b - North Carolina
. ..