Old 26-01-2003, 03:02 PM
E Gardener

Default seed in fall before spring crabgrass preventer?

Hello,

I have a question regarding crabgrass, and I was hoping someone might be
able to please help me out.

I'm located in Long Island, NY. I've had a crabgrass problem the last few
years which I've tried to control with post-emergent sprays. I had stayed
away from the pre-emergent preventers (like Scotts Halts) because I was
trying to get some new grass to grow from seed and had been warned that such
products will keep your new seed from growing. I understand that you can't
seed after putting Halts down, but how about before? In other words, I
seeded last October -- some of this grass germinated and was already visible
before the winter set in, but most of it isn't yet visible. Is this fall
2002 seeding affected if I put down Halts early this spring, or does putting
Halts down only prevent me from putting down new seed until the following
August?

Thanks very much.