Old 19-05-2003, 02:20 AM
Phyllis and Jim Hurley

Default Creosote and fish

Too bad about your losses.

Population may be a significant problem for you. Do I count right? 62
goldfish and 5 koi in 250 gallons. You do/will face an overcrowding problem
in spades.

I think people generally figure 20 gal per goldfish and 100 per koi. That
calls for about 1700 gallons for the load you have (less some for deaths).

Even if they are small now, they will grow. Your problems may have to do
with overcrowding.

Additionally, how long has the pond been up and running. It may not have
cycled enough to be stable and handling the fish load.

How many are still alive? Any way to thin the population?

Ingrid will no doubt have some good advice for you.

Check out Jog-A-Thon fundraiser (clears $140+ per child) at: jogathon.net
"itten" wrote in message
250 gallons. Started out adding 12 feeders, then 20, then another 20,
then about 10 mosquito fish, 10 goldfish and finally 5 Koi of which I
lost one. I live in SC and the water temp is about 72. My pond water
tested good yesterday. I removed the two railroad ties that I
suspected being the problem. The four remaining Koi seem to be doing
fine as well as the larger goldfish. It seems that I started losing
the smallest of the fish first with the exception of one of my Koi.

In article ,
wrote:

you start adding feeder fish now and you will kill off the rest of the

fish.
maybe you better start over and tell us all about the pond, how big, how

many
fish,
water parameters, temp, etc.
Ingrid

itten wrote:

I lost a few fish here and there but not daily.
I will be removing the ties today and will start adding some feeder
fish like I did at the begining. I'll know for sure then.

In article , "Rick Samuel"
wrote:

Were you losing fish before you added the rr ties? If not, well.