Old 26-01-2003, 11:22 PM
KrisHur

Default Cut Flagstone Patio. Mortored or dry install?

My pool deck is flagstone set on sand w/cement between the stones (I don't
know what you call it). It's only 3 years old and about 3/4 of the area
repaired needs to be repaired. The masons who fixed up some stone decking
for me last year said this type breaks down very quickly. I really wish I
paid the extra cash to have the stone set in cement.

--
Kristen
Zone 6, SE NY

"kellysheroes" wrote in message
m...
We're planning on having a 1000 ft2 flagstone patio installed. We
have received estimates for both a dry install with rock/stone(?) dust
and a mortored install. What are the pros and cons of each. We live
in Northern Virginia by Washington DC. We do have a large, mature
sugar maple that will be approximately 6 feet from one corner of the
patio. Our concerns are these roots and heave. We want a very flat
surface which leads us to mortored, but are afraid of cracking in the
cement due to the roots. We believe that we can repair any root
movement in a dry install, but worry about the overall flatness over a
period of time. Thoughts?