Old 19-05-2003, 04:20 AM
GamePlayer No. 1058

Default Are climbing roses more suseptable to disease?

I think you are probably right, I now need to concentrate on preventive.
Unfortunately last year I was lax, and I refused to cut back my climbers any
more than I "thought" I had to. Well aparently that wasnt' enough (and I
cut that climber way back, it was the only one that showed any evidence of
mildew, mold), now all of them show signs of it, some more so than others.

All in all, I have about 65 rose bushes in my yard (yet I still want more
and more - it's worse than a drug addiction). I just bought 10 Jack frosts
today, since I really dont have any white roses, save the one that I was
given for xmas one year, but I really dislike it, since its a bush, and
takes up too much space, but hey, a gift is a gift, so until my friend
passes away (God forbid), I will keep it here in the rose garden so that
incase he visits, it's still here. I dont think it's so much that i have so
many bushes, but rather how badly they are infected. I've become real lax
on the bushes, and have ignored them since they have done so well on their
own, now it maybe too late. Some of the bushes (the climbers in particular)
have every bud covered in WPM, I knew I should have acted sooner, but it's
too late to worry about that, i now need to contain it at least. I bought
several cans of spray, but that hardly covered any of the bushes, and quite
honestly I can't afford to spend the amount of money that it would take to
buy enough spray cans to accomodate all the bushes. Perhaps a "more natural
ecological" spray would work???????

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhh, I hate mildew, I used to
Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhaaaaaaaaatttttttteeeee aphids, but my neighbors cleared that
up nicely with their purchase of ladybugs this year, not a aphid in sight
now. A month ago, I was infested with aphids..

"Scopata Fuori" wrote in message
. ..
:
: So, are they more suseptable to disease like white powder mildew?
:
: I haven't found climbers to be more suceptible, although certain species
: lineages can prove more prone to it. In fact, I have seen less powdery
: mildew on my 8 climbers (Cl. White Dawn, Blaze, Zephrine Drouhin, Cl.
Peace,
: Red Cascade, Jean LaJoie, and two unidentified "rescued" climbers.) than I
: do on any of the others of every size and shape.
:
: I think it's because they get more air circulation, and tend to be planted
: in more open, sunny areas by nature of their growth habit.
:
: I do find it on my bushy, compact minis, though.
:
: You said you'd need 3 gallons for all your bushes, how many do you have?
Are
: they all seriously infested with PM? Sounds like you need to concentrate
on
: a preventative spray program.
:
: Since purchasing Indicate, a spreader-sticker, I have found I use half as
: much volume of product as before, since it "sticks" instead of dribbling
: straight off the leaf.
:
:
: Scopata Fuori