Old 19-05-2003, 01:20 AM
GamePlayer No. 1058

Default Are climbing roses more suseptable to disease?

The one climber that came up on it's own is full of mildew (I went to the
store and got some spray, then took a closer look at the climber, it's got
mildew all over the place). At first I didnt think so, but then I noticed
the other rose bushes that have it are my color magic, BUT, it's not
actually on the Color Magic, it's on a sucker that grew out last year, and
this sucker has the same flowers that my climber does.

Theres also another climber that was mismarked from home depot from last
year, it wasnt marked as a climber, but it's showing that it is a climber
AND has the same flowers as my other climbers.

So, are they more suseptable to disease like white powder mildew? It
appears after closer inspection that almost all my rose bushes have the
mildew, and Im thinking at this point my only option is going to be to prune
them way way back at the end of the season, since it's so rampant now, I
think pruning them down to 14" might kill them now. I priced some
fungicides, but I think I'd need like 3 gallons of the stuff (concentrate)
to make enough mixture to douse all the roses in my garden.

What do you suggest I do at this point?

Thanks,
Adam

Old 19-05-2003, 02:08 AM
Scopata Fuori

So, are they more suseptable to disease like white powder mildew?

I haven't found climbers to be more suceptible, although certain species
lineages can prove more prone to it. In fact, I have seen less powdery
mildew on my 8 climbers (Cl. White Dawn, Blaze, Zephrine Drouhin, Cl. Peace,
Red Cascade, Jean LaJoie, and two unidentified "rescued" climbers.) than I
do on any of the others of every size and shape.

I think it's because they get more air circulation, and tend to be planted
in more open, sunny areas by nature of their growth habit.

I do find it on my bushy, compact minis, though.

You said you'd need 3 gallons for all your bushes, how many do you have? Are
they all seriously infested with PM? Sounds like you need to concentrate on
a preventative spray program.

Since purchasing Indicate, a spreader-sticker, I have found I use half as
much volume of product as before, since it "sticks" instead of dribbling
straight off the leaf.

Scopata Fuori

Old 19-05-2003, 04:20 AM
GamePlayer No. 1058

I think you are probably right, I now need to concentrate on preventive.
Unfortunately last year I was lax, and I refused to cut back my climbers any
more than I "thought" I had to. Well aparently that wasnt' enough (and I
cut that climber way back, it was the only one that showed any evidence of
mildew, mold), now all of them show signs of it, some more so than others.

All in all, I have about 65 rose bushes in my yard (yet I still want more
and more - it's worse than a drug addiction). I just bought 10 Jack frosts
today, since I really dont have any white roses, save the one that I was
given for xmas one year, but I really dislike it, since its a bush, and
takes up too much space, but hey, a gift is a gift, so until my friend
passes away (God forbid), I will keep it here in the rose garden so that
incase he visits, it's still here. I dont think it's so much that i have so
many bushes, but rather how badly they are infected. I've become real lax
on the bushes, and have ignored them since they have done so well on their
own, now it maybe too late. Some of the bushes (the climbers in particular)
have every bud covered in WPM, I knew I should have acted sooner, but it's
too late to worry about that, i now need to contain it at least. I bought
several cans of spray, but that hardly covered any of the bushes, and quite
honestly I can't afford to spend the amount of money that it would take to
buy enough spray cans to accomodate all the bushes. Perhaps a "more natural
ecological" spray would work???????

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhh, I hate mildew, I used to
Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhaaaaaaaaatttttttteeeee aphids, but my neighbors cleared that
up nicely with their purchase of ladybugs this year, not a aphid in sight
now. A month ago, I was infested with aphids..

"Scopata Fuori" wrote in message
. ..
:

Old 19-05-2003, 07:20 PM
Unique Too

"GamePlayer No. 1058" writes:

The one climber that came up on it's own is full of mildew (I went to the
store and got some spray, then took a closer look at the climber, it's got
mildew all over the place). At first I didnt think so, but then I noticed
the other rose bushes that have it are my color magic, BUT, it's not
actually on the Color Magic, it's on a sucker that grew out last year, and
this sucker has the same flowers that my climber does.

Theres also another climber that was mismarked from home depot from last
year, it wasnt marked as a climber, but it's showing that it is a climber
AND has the same flowers as my other climbers.

All three of your "climbers" are Dr. Huey the rootstock of the original rose.

So, are they more suseptable to disease like white powder mildew?

And, yes, Dr. Huey is more suseptable to powdery milder and blackspot than many
other roses. Not all roses are created equal. Dr. Huey is a good rootstock
for many areas, but it isn't the most disease resistant variety out there.

Old 19-05-2003, 10:44 PM
Cass

GamePlayer No. 1058 wrote:

Perhaps a "more natural
ecological" spray would work???????

It might. Try Erase. Not cheap but it does work. You have to watch the
conditions when you spray any kind of oil because heat combined with
horticultural oil will kill you roses.

Old 20-05-2003, 04:56 AM
Frederick Burroughs

"GamePlayer No. 1058" wrote:

The one climber that came up on it's own is full of mildew (I went to the
store and got some spray, then took a closer look at the climber, it's got
mildew all over the place).

I just purchased Awakening, a pinker version of New Dawn. Beautiful
deep green foliage and blood-red thorns. It was still in the pot,
neither planted or sprayed. All the other roses get sprayed regular
with... what is it? Funginex? Ortho brand of triforine? Diluted
from concentrate and applied with a pump pressure sprayer.

Anyway, here in the Shenandoah Valley of Virginia (zone 6, oak-hickory
forest) it's been sopping wet. Mildew city. All the planted roses
are clean and beautiful. But, that Awakening, still in the pot, went
from clean and bright to wrinkled and powdery; OVERNIGHT! The powdery
just exploded over it, like it was spray painted. So, it's
quarantined, still in the pot, dripping with fungicide.

The American Pillar, planted last year, is two-thirds up the corner of
the house, right next to the dryer vent exhaust. Sprayed regularly,
it is clean and reaching for the sky.

--
The lock upon my garden gate's a snail, that's what it is.

-Donovan's prescient response to homeland security.
Old 20-05-2003, 05:56 AM
GamePlayer No. 1058

Thank you,
I think Im going to cut down the "climber" Dr. Huey , and dig out all the
roots and plant in a new climber instead to take it's place. It may take a
couple years to establish it, but I think it will be worth it in the long
run. I dont live in an extremely moist and humid environment (zone 08a),
but thats just what I feel, not what my roses feel.

That also explains the rose in the center of one area that I may have
thought was mismarked, when in reality it might have been another bush that
was eaten by the dog, and I planted anyway, perhaps Dr. Huey came up out of
the soil and I wasn't paying attention.

Time to get rid of Dr. Huey so that next year I dont have this mildew
problem.

"Unique Too" wrote in message
: "GamePlayer No. 1058" writes:
:
[...]

HELP: Tomato Disease (Wilt disease?) vms North Carolina 4 18-07-2005 01:11 PM
Mad Cow Disease / Mad Deer Disease Jim Webster sci.agriculture 370 01-05-2003 10:44 AM
Climbing Roses Vickie Andersen Roses 2 07-03-2003 06:32 PM
Combining Roses with climbing vines Huskies4all Roses 9 18-02-2003 07:15 PM
New thread. Mad Cow Disease / Mad Deer Disease Lotus sci.agriculture 1 31-12-2002 03:29 PM