Old 19-05-2003, 05:08 AM
bern

Default Fish Moving Advice

"David Barnsley" wrote in message m...
Hi,

I need to move some goldfish and a few koi from my fathers pond as he has
just passed away, there are about 6 fish in the 6-9" range and about a dozen
3-5" fish. I don't feel like digging a pond at the moment due to the
forthcoming event reguarding my father, is there anyway they can be stored
in a tank for a few weeks?, if not what would be the best size pond to
provide for these fish, I would prefer preformed.

My condolences in your loss.

I keep my pond fish in a couple of fishtanks over the winter. They are
quite overcrowded there, but with vigorous filtering and water
changing they do well and return to the pond in spring in good shape.
So, yes, temporary storage for your father's fish is very feasable. If
I remember correctly, you can size the tank required based on fish
length. Everybody, correct me if I have misremembered, but one gallon
for every 2 inches of total fish length is sufficient. Based on your
description, 100 gallons should be more than enough. I would guess
that on a temporary basis, 50 gallons would do with adequate
filtering.

Good luck.