Old 18-05-2003, 07:44 PM
David Barnsley

Default Fish Moving Advice

Hi,

I need to move some goldfish and a few koi from my fathers pond as he has
just passed away, there are about 6 fish in the 6-9" range and about a dozen
3-5" fish. I don't feel like digging a pond at the moment due to the
forthcoming event reguarding my father, is there anyway they can be stored
in a tank for a few weeks?, if not what would be the best size pond to
provide for these fish, I would prefer preformed.

Thanks in advance,

David.

Old 18-05-2003, 11:08 PM
jammer

I cant answer your question but i would like to offer my deepest
sympathy concerning your loss. God be with you.

Old 19-05-2003, 02:56 AM
zookeeper

David, so sorry to hear about your father. Perhaps there's a local koi
club that might have a temporary tank you could borrow until you're
ready to dig a pond. If not, a child's wading pool (maybe 8-10 foot
diameter, 12-18 inches deep) could be used. A small pump to circulate
the water, or frequent water changes could be made. You would also need
to screen or net the top so the koi will not jump out and so the fish
are protected from any predators. Best of luck.
--
Kathy B, zookeeper
3500gal pond (Oregon)

Old 19-05-2003, 05:08 AM
bern

"David Barnsley" wrote in message m...
Hi,

I need to move some goldfish and a few koi from my fathers pond as he has
just passed away, there are about 6 fish in the 6-9" range and about a dozen
3-5" fish. I don't feel like digging a pond at the moment due to the
forthcoming event reguarding my father, is there anyway they can be stored
in a tank for a few weeks?, if not what would be the best size pond to
provide for these fish, I would prefer preformed.

My condolences in your loss.

I keep my pond fish in a couple of fishtanks over the winter. They are
quite overcrowded there, but with vigorous filtering and water
changing they do well and return to the pond in spring in good shape.
So, yes, temporary storage for your father's fish is very feasable. If
I remember correctly, you can size the tank required based on fish
length. Everybody, correct me if I have misremembered, but one gallon
for every 2 inches of total fish length is sufficient. Based on your
description, 100 gallons should be more than enough. I would guess
that on a temporary basis, 50 gallons would do with adequate
filtering.

Good luck.
Old 19-05-2003, 07:56 AM
David Barnsley

Hi,

I would like to thank you all for you help and kind words.

All the best,

David.

Old 19-05-2003, 10:08 PM
mad

i am sorry about your loss. you could get a large stock tank and set it up
with an air pump for temporaries. then when you get to where you could dig a
pond, then you could use the tank for the veggie filter.
mad
--
People will forget what you said; people will forget what
you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.

From: "David Barnsley"
Newsgroups: rec.ponds
Date: Sun, 18 May 2003 19:47:54 +0100
Subject: Fish Moving Advice

Hi,

I need to move some goldfish and a few koi from my fathers pond as he has
just passed away, there are about 6 fish in the 6-9" range and about a dozen
3-5" fish. I don't feel like digging a pond at the moment due to the
forthcoming event reguarding my father, is there anyway they can be stored
in a tank for a few weeks?, if not what would be the best size pond to
provide for these fish, I would prefer preformed.

Thanks in advance,

David.

LINDA WEST of CHIPMAN UNITED VAN LINES likes to commit Fraud & Forgery and she likes to put peoples names on moving contracts without there Knowledge. Caton Mayflower Moving & Storage Movers & Relocation Dublin,ca & concord,ca 925) 876-7441, 925-887- vinkovci United Kingdom 1 11-10-2005 10:48 PM
MOVING-help w/ moving fish and temporary pond Judi9000 Ponds 9 25-05-2004 03:02 AM
Moving and leaving ponds with fish! Suggestions for new joe Ponds 2 16-05-2004 06:06 AM
Moving Fish david.crouch7 Ponds 4 23-11-2003 10:43 PM
moving, need to give away fish and plants Frank Beard Freshwater Aquaria Plants 5 10-11-2003 06:43 PM