Old 13-02-2003, 05:09 AM
Dave M. Picklyk

Default LOW LIGHT PLANTS

In the past I have had excellent success with the Dwarf Anubias (Anubias
nana). It is truly a very hardy plant that can grow in any conditions. It
slowly puts out dark emerald color broad rubbery leaves. Check out mine at
http://www.okcomputerworks.com/aquarium.html it's the bush plant in the
center in front of the driftwood. Here's a page with some stats
http://www.aquahobby.com/garden/panubias.html. Most anubias plants will do
just fine. Also maybe the Afzellii Anubias. The Java fern that you have is
another excellent low-light plant.

The aqua-glo is a pretty standard spectrum and is not as intense as the
PowerGlo or LifeGlo...but it's much cheaper and for the low-light plants you
are growing I wouldn't worry much about it. Generally the rule with
replacing bulbs is every 6 months. And when you replace it you can get full
spectrum daylight bulbs from department stores much cheaper then branded
aquarium bulbs that do the same thing. Also remember that it's the watts per
gallon not necessarily the intensity or color that greatly affect plant
growth...so with yours being under 1 wpg (low-light tank), any standard
daylight 15w bulb will do.

If you want to go higher intensities then you would just be inviting algae
growth and wasting money. Also, IME any direct sunlight in to the tank will
also cause algae spurts and possible blooms (combined with other conditions
like high phosphates etc. of course).

"Sushil Prasad" wrote in message
HI,

I have 20gallon with 15 watt aqua -glo. I have some plants like
java-fern,java moss and crypto species. They are doing fine as my tank

also
gets about 2 hours of sunlight per day. I was wondering if there are any
other plant that would do well in such a low light.

Also when should the aqua-glo be replaced, i got the tank from a relative
and it came with bulb. The bulb seem to be bit old as it is blackish on

the
ends.

And would it help the plants if i used another spectrum of bulb instead of
aqua glo, like life-glo or sun glo or the marine aquarium blubs.

thanks