Old 12-02-2003, 11:06 PM
Sushil Prasad

Default LOW LIGHT PLANTS

HI,

I have 20gallon with 15 watt aqua -glo. I have some plants like
java-fern,java moss and crypto species. They are doing fine as my tank also
gets about 2 hours of sunlight per day. I was wondering if there are any
other plant that would do well in such a low light.

Also when should the aqua-glo be replaced, i got the tank from a relative
and it came with bulb. The bulb seem to be bit old as it is blackish on the
ends.

And would it help the plants if i used another spectrum of bulb instead of
aqua glo, like life-glo or sun glo or the marine aquarium blubs.

thanks

Old 13-02-2003, 05:09 AM
Dave M. Picklyk

In the past I have had excellent success with the Dwarf Anubias (Anubias
nana). It is truly a very hardy plant that can grow in any conditions. It
slowly puts out dark emerald color broad rubbery leaves. Check out mine at
http://www.okcomputerworks.com/aquarium.html it's the bush plant in the
center in front of the driftwood. Here's a page with some stats
http://www.aquahobby.com/garden/panubias.html. Most anubias plants will do
just fine. Also maybe the Afzellii Anubias. The Java fern that you have is
another excellent low-light plant.

The aqua-glo is a pretty standard spectrum and is not as intense as the
PowerGlo or LifeGlo...but it's much cheaper and for the low-light plants you
are growing I wouldn't worry much about it. Generally the rule with
replacing bulbs is every 6 months. And when you replace it you can get full
spectrum daylight bulbs from department stores much cheaper then branded
aquarium bulbs that do the same thing. Also remember that it's the watts per
gallon not necessarily the intensity or color that greatly affect plant
growth...so with yours being under 1 wpg (low-light tank), any standard
daylight 15w bulb will do.

If you want to go higher intensities then you would just be inviting algae
growth and wasting money. Also, IME any direct sunlight in to the tank will
also cause algae spurts and possible blooms (combined with other conditions
like high phosphates etc. of course).

Old 13-02-2003, 04:58 PM
kush

How tall? How little light?

Some of the Anubias, like hastifolia, will grow quite tall (eventually), but
not very full. I have some Bolbitis that would be tall enough for the
background in a smaller tank, say 12" tall. Sagittaria subulata will grow
to 20+" and be quite dense at only 1.5 wpg.

Sushil Prasad wrote in message
Hi,

Are there in tall plants for the backgroud that would do well in low

light.

Sushil

Old 13-02-2003, 06:49 PM
Sushil Prasad

Will any of the following plants survive in my 20gallon 15watt tank.

1. Echinodours x. Ozelot

2. Hygrophila difformis (Water Wisteria)

Thanks.

Old 13-02-2003, 07:05 PM
kush

The red-spot ozelot will survive, but it won't be especially attractive. At
1 wpg it will produce small leaves on long stems so that all you see when
you look in the side are stems, while the floating leaves block out all
available light. I grow red-spots myself and have had them in many
different tanks under different lights. IMO, they look their best at
between 2 and 3 wpg.

I've grown wisteria in moderate light tanks before, but it's been many years
(like 20, maybe?). Supposedly it is a moderate-to-high light plant. I'd be
disinclined to spend any money on it but, if you already have it or can get
it for free, why not try? Then you'll know.

I'd recommend either upgrading your lighting or not breaking your heart
getting attached to stem plants.

Old 15-02-2003, 12:22 PM
LeighMo

Will any of the following plants survive in my 20gallon 15watt tank.

1. Echinodours x. Ozelot

2. Hygrophila difformis (Water Wisteria)

I would go for one of the plain green Amazon sword plants. They tend to need
less light.

Hygrophila is worth a shot. It doesn't need as much light as other stem
plants.

Leigh