Old 24-02-2003, 01:57 AM
Bob A

Default two: green algae spots/amazon sword

I have my plants from Phyl in, and my aquarium is beautiful! I will post
some pics sometime.

I have a couple of problems though. My pleco jumped out of the tank a while
back, and ever since I have had a problem with green spot algae. I think
the reason is that there is an uncovered window a few feet to the west. I
plan on getting it covered tomorrow. Meanwhile, I have been scraping and
cleaning it off. Now that I have the plants, that has gotten more
difficult, and I don't want it on my plants.

I have an oto with more on the way. I originally put in some TMG but have
stopped for a while. I have replaced the 40W with 110W when I planted the
tank. What I would like to know is this: I do about a 33% water change
once a week... would changing that much daily or every other day help get
rid of the green spot algae?

Question two is about a huge Amazon Sword I have had for quite a while.
Most of the leaves now have black spots and also some type of blackish
algae. I have clipped the worst leaves. Should I just go ahead and clip
all but the new leaves which look ok? There are about 4-5 1"-4" new leaves.
I hate to decimate this plant, but I think that's the best idea?

thanks everyone,

bob allred
north carolina