Old 01-02-2003, 01:36 AM
zhanataya

Default Pansies In Distress

On 31 Jan 2003 13:46:57 -0800, (Fleemo) wrote:

Pansys are susceptible to midge infestations. I've haven't had a
midge problem with mine so I'm not sure what it looks like. You might
do a search on Google and see if it is a match. Also how cold has it
gotten where they are planted?

To assist in the diagnosis, I posted a new closeup of an infected
pansy on the site at
http://www.inhouzemus
ic.com/panzy.html.

It's not a case of overwatering, as the only moisture they get is the
occasional rainfall, which hasn't been much lately. And I could be
wrong, but I don't think it's an insect infestation. And it's
actually been a relatively warm winter here in Northern California,
with temperatures hovering in the 40's and 50's.

Looking through my books, I'd guess that it's Gray Mold, and that I'd
need a fungicide to battle it. I have Safer Garden Fungicide, which
controls Powdery Mildew, Black Spot, and Rust. Might this stuff work
on Gray Mold as well? I've also heard a diluted mixture of plain ol'
milk serves as an effective fungicide as well. Any suggestions?

If the Safers doesn't give you the desired results try Impede. It has
always performed well for me. There is a section on the labels that
lists plants to NOT use the product on. If pansies aren't listed
there you should be good to go.

A long time ago farmers used to mix finely ground sulphur, hydrated
lime and use dried milk for a spreader. They'd mix this with water
for spraying. Hadn't heard of diluted milk used as a fungicide. Is
it supposed to work well? On my orchids I use cinnamon. That works
great. Don't know if it would have a detrimental effect on the
pansies though.

Good Luck
zhan