Old 02-02-2003, 02:14 PM
animaux

Default Nandina

Actually, we are on living as far south as Tallahassee. They may get more rain
than we do being on the east side of the dry line, up the mid-section.

Either way, I will be yanking the N.domestica sometime this year. It's invasive
here, not recommended based on that, however it attracts wrens, cardinals,
mockingbirds and lizards. The berries are devoured in spring by Cedar waxwings,
who dispell the seeds and are populating the area with this relatively large
shrub.

I need a plant which is evergreen and which naturally only grows to
approximately 3 feet. I was thinking about some of the barberries. Still
searching for a native alternative. Know any?

On Sun, 02 Feb 2003 01:36:41 GMT, Tom Jaszewski
wrote:

Nandina domestica have a hell of a time in that exposure in the
desert. Unfortunately many choices are not made on an evaluation of
the same microclimate observed

On Sat, 01 Feb 2003 14:28:54 GMT, animaux wrote:

I live in Austin, two hundred miles south of Dallas. It is in the high 90s to
low 100s for months at a time and my N. domestica are in full sun, south
exposure, against a cement foundation. These are very well adapted plants to
heat and drought. I've never seen one of them wilt. I'm not sure what you are
talking about.

On Fri, 31 Jan 2003 22:41:13 -0800, "gregpresley" wrote:

Nandina in Tallahassee did poorly in full sun conditions. When self -sown it
NEVER appeared in a sunny area - usually in dappled to full shade areas.
Nandina can be and is grown as a sun plant in temperate climates with cooler
summers, but I would be cautious about moving into full sun in Dallas. Don't
you have any other spot it can go into? Either that, or build it some
protection - a little lathe house or something. It might survive, but
probably with scorched leaves, poor growth, etc.
"Dan" wrote in message
Can I move an established nandina? They are a few years old and in full
shade . Anything I should do/not do when moving from almost full shade
to spot with ~5~6 hours afternoon sun?

Thx
Dan
Zone 8 , Dallas TX