Old 31-01-2003, 03:26 PM
Dan

Default Nandina

Can I move an established nandina? They are a few years old and in full
shade . Anything I should do/not do when moving from almost full shade
to spot with ~5~6 hours afternoon sun?

Thx
Dan
Zone 8 , Dallas TX
Old 31-01-2003, 04:05 PM
Pam

Dan wrote:

Can I move an established nandina? They are a few years old and in full
shade . Anything I should do/not do when moving from almost full shade
to spot with ~5~6 hours afternoon sun?

Established nandinas can be moved as easily as any other shrub. The plants
are bound to suffer some distress being moved from a nearly full shade
situation to that much sun. Make sure they get plenty of water until they
have adjusted, as well as whatever protection you can manage - at least on a
temporary basis through the summer months - from the afternoon sun. They
should take about a season to become properly adjusted.

pam - gardengal

Old 31-01-2003, 10:49 PM
animaux

If you do it this weekend, they will be okay. Anything much after Feb 1 is
disaster here in Texas. Our hot weather is around the corner. Plant out date
is March 15 for tender plants. If you move them immediately, you will have the
benefit of the spring rains, as well. Anything further into the month of Feb.
and they will really suffer.

Old 01-02-2003, 06:41 AM
gregpresley

Nandina in Tallahassee did poorly in full sun conditions. When self -sown it
NEVER appeared in a sunny area - usually in dappled to full shade areas.
Nandina can be and is grown as a sun plant in temperate climates with cooler
summers, but I would be cautious about moving into full sun in Dallas. Don't
you have any other spot it can go into? Either that, or build it some
protection - a little lathe house or something. It might survive, but
probably with scorched leaves, poor growth, etc.

Old 01-02-2003, 02:28 PM
animaux

I live in Austin, two hundred miles south of Dallas. It is in the high 90s to
low 100s for months at a time and my N. domestica are in full sun, south
exposure, against a cement foundation. These are very well adapted plants to
heat and drought. I've never seen one of them wilt. I'm not sure what you are
talking about.

Old 02-02-2003, 01:36 AM
Tom Jaszewski

Nandina domestica have a hell of a time in that exposure in the
desert. Unfortunately many choices are not made on an evaluation of
the same microclimate observed

"Dan" wrote in message
Can I move an established nandina? They are a few years old and in full
shade . Anything I should do/not do when moving from almost full shade
to spot with ~5~6 hours afternoon sun?

Thx
Dan
Zone 8 , Dallas TX

Regards,

tomj
Old 02-02-2003, 02:14 PM
animaux

Actually, we are on living as far south as Tallahassee. They may get more rain
than we do being on the east side of the dry line, up the mid-section.

Either way, I will be yanking the N.domestica sometime this year. It's invasive
here, not recommended based on that, however it attracts wrens, cardinals,
mockingbirds and lizards. The berries are devoured in spring by Cedar waxwings,
who dispell the seeds and are populating the area with this relatively large
shrub.

I need a plant which is evergreen and which naturally only grows to
approximately 3 feet. I was thinking about some of the barberries. Still
searching for a native alternative. Know any?

Old 06-02-2003, 04:40 AM
Wendy B G

I need a plant which is evergreen and which naturally only grows to
approximately 3 feet.

Since nandina grows so well for you, you might want to try one of the dwarf
nandina cultivars, such as "Harbor Dwarf." I have 3. I planted them 4 years
ago, as knee-high container plants with about a dozen stems. They are still
only knee-high, but they have grown more stems.

Wendy
Wilmington, DE (Zone 7)
Old 08-02-2003, 10:48 PM
Wendy B G

I think "Harbor Dwarf" usually fails to set fruit, so
isn't as as decorative overall. Has yours ever berried?

No, it hasn't.
Wendy