Old 18-02-2003, 10:34 AM
WhiskerFish

Default Newbie looking for lighting advice

Been there and they definetly make the short list to choose from.
Thanks

WF

On Mon, 17 Feb 2003 18:01:38 -0800, Cannibul
wrote:

On Sun, 16 Feb 2003 15:45:10 GMT, WhiskerFish
wrote:

Check out www.ahsupply.com and look at a 2 x 55 watt CF kit. It will
give you 110 watts of light with great reflectors and not take up a
lot of room.

Hello all

Been watching this NG for a few days now and it looks like
there is a world of knowledge here. Anyway my situation. Recently
getting back into the Hobby after a 20 plus year absence. Currently
have 2 55 U.S.G. tanks set up and a 29 USG as my hospital tank. All
are up and cycled doing good.

The primary 55 Gal in my living room I have lightly populated
with some plants. 2 Amazon Swords. 3 Cardamine Lyrata's and a few
short grasses. Fish population/loading is close to maximum. I want
to add more plants and I need to upgrade from the standard LFS
supplied lighting system. Right now I have less than 50 watts for the
whole tank. There is substantial non-direct sun light during the day
but wish to do better to have some flexability and ensure I give the
plants a chance to flourish. This will always be primarily a fish
tank not plant dedicated.

I have purchased a split glass cover and am prepared to build
a hood from scratch to meet the needs of the lighting system. What I
am looking for is recommendations for a maintenance free Long term
lighting system that will be both natural in appearance for the fish
veiwing and healthy for the plants. Money while always a concern is
secondary to getting it right the first time. Heat generation for
summer months is a concern. Tank Dimentions are 21"H x 12 wide x 48
long. I am a capable electrician and carpenter so manufacturing /
assembly are a possibility.

No I have not finished reading the info available at the Krib
but will do so this week as part of my decision process.

Thanks a bunch for any info you care to share!

Steve
aka "WhiskerFish"