Old 19-05-2003, 12:56 PM
itten

Default Creosote and fish

My pond has been up now for three weeks. I starting adding fish after
one week. I guess natural selection started eliminating the smallest of
the fish first. I have four Koi left and probably a handfull of
goldfish. They seem to be doing fine. One more thing I noticed
including the dead goldfish I just removed, is the fact that the tail
fins on a lot of the fish are missing, like they are being eaten by
something. I noticed this on some of the other fish.

In article , "Phyllis
and Jim Hurley" wrote:

Too bad about your losses.

Population may be a significant problem for you. Do I count right? 62
goldfish and 5 koi in 250 gallons. You do/will face an overcrowding problem
in spades.

I think people generally figure 20 gal per goldfish and 100 per koi. That
calls for about 1700 gallons for the load you have (less some for deaths).

Even if they are small now, they will grow. Your problems may have to do
with overcrowding.

Additionally, how long has the pond been up and running. It may not have
cycled enough to be stable and handling the fish load.

How many are still alive? Any way to thin the population?

Ingrid will no doubt have some good advice for you.