Old 19-05-2003, 01:44 PM
Marc Stephenson

Default indian hawthorne alternative?

In article ,
Al Hanke wrote:

"Wayne Dyer" wrote in message
newsan.2003.05.17.16.38.03.164816@nospampleas e-foobox.com...

But, we did something that in hindsight was stupid, but we're learning --
we put out indian hawthorne in an area where deer are about. Took us a
few days to realize it wasn't some problem with the plants, but the
hoofprints in the mulch gave it away. This afternoon I'm pulling the
plants so they'll move elsewhere.

Thing is, we need to put in something that likes full sun, preferably with
some color and drought tolerant, that the deer won't mess with. I've
already hit the TAMU site for derr-resistant plants, but they don't have
pictures. :-(

The Grow Green Austin site has pictures.

Any suggestions?

-W-

Another interesting phenomenon I observed was with Salvia Gregii. On one
site off Lost Creek Blvd. I used both red and white. I used the red in
greater abundance and the white for a bit of variety. The deer ignored the
white completely but pestered the red to death. It seems that they don't
like the salvia but they will attempt to eat the red gregii until it gets
established - if you can get it established.

I haven't really had many problems (relatively) with the red variety (in Lost
Creek). If you're in a heavily deer-populated area, you simply can't have Indian
Hawthorne.

Basically, you're looking for smelly and pointy. Salvias/sages are likely
winners, and you can get plenty of colors (salvia greggii - red, white, yellow, pink,
coral, hot pink, raspberry, grape, "diane"). They can get leggy/woody/thin
if you don't prune them back often enough.

Generally, if you can't smell it and you can grab it without hurting yourself, the
deer are likely to eat it.

Abelia does look a lot like Indian Hawthorne and it is on the deer resistant
lists, but it's not on the grow green list. I've seen it described as a
medium-water usage plant - maybe it's too high to be recommended for here?
--
Marc Stephenson IBM Systems Group - Austin,TX
T/L: 678-3189