Old 17-05-2003, 05:32 PM
Wayne Dyer

Default indian hawthorne alternative?

Once again, I seek the wisdom of the net.

The poison whatever on the back fence is being dealt with. Thanks to all
who responded. I decided to just try to get rid of it rather than worry
too much about what exactly it was.

But, we did something that in hindsight was stupid, but we're learning --
we put out indian hawthorne in an area where deer are about. Took us a
few days to realize it wasn't some problem with the plants, but the
hoofprints in the mulch gave it away. This afternoon I'm pulling the
plants so they'll move elsewhere.

Thing is, we need to put in something that likes full sun, preferably with
some color and drought tolerant, that the deer won't mess with. I've
already hit the TAMU site for derr-resistant plants, but they don't have
pictures. :-(

Any suggestions?

-W-
Old 18-05-2003, 10:20 AM
bobwhite

"Wayne Dyer" wrote in message
news
But, we did something that in hindsight was stupid, but we're learning --
we put out indian hawthorne in an area where deer are about. Took us a
few days to realize it wasn't some problem with the plants, but the
hoofprints in the mulch gave it away. This afternoon I'm pulling the
plants so they'll move elsewhere.

IH is pure deer candy.

We have the deer problem with almost everything we plant. The only thing
we have found that they don't seem to want at all is Salvia -----. There
are several varieties.
Might consider these.

Old 18-05-2003, 06:20 PM
Terry Horton

On Sat, 17 May 2003 16:39:00 GMT, "Wayne Dyer"
wrote:

Once again, I seek the wisdom of the net.

The poison whatever on the back fence is being dealt with. Thanks to all
who responded. I decided to just try to get rid of it rather than worry
too much about what exactly it was.

But, we did something that in hindsight was stupid, but we're learning --
we put out indian hawthorne in an area where deer are about. Took us a
few days to realize it wasn't some problem with the plants, but the
hoofprints in the mulch gave it away. This afternoon I'm pulling the
plants so they'll move elsewhere.

Thing is, we need to put in something that likes full sun, preferably with
some color and drought tolerant, that the deer won't mess with. I've
already hit the TAMU site for derr-resistant plants, but they don't have
pictures. :-(

Smallish, right? Maybe one of the cenizos like _Leucophyllum
langmanae_? Somewhat larger, a _Leucophyllum frutescens_ 'Green
Cloud' covered in blooms in the middle of a 100F August drought is
nothing short of spectacular. Barton Springs Nursery carries a good
selection in 1-gal(!) and 5-gal.
Old 18-05-2003, 06:56 PM
Al Hanke

"Wayne Dyer" wrote in message
news
Once again, I seek the wisdom of the net.

The poison whatever on the back fence is being dealt with. Thanks to all
who responded. I decided to just try to get rid of it rather than worry
too much about what exactly it was.

But, we did something that in hindsight was stupid, but we're learning --
we put out indian hawthorne in an area where deer are about. Took us a
few days to realize it wasn't some problem with the plants, but the
hoofprints in the mulch gave it away. This afternoon I'm pulling the
plants so they'll move elsewhere.

Thing is, we need to put in something that likes full sun, preferably with
some color and drought tolerant, that the deer won't mess with. I've
already hit the TAMU site for derr-resistant plants, but they don't have
pictures. :-(

Any suggestions?

-W-

Abelia takes the sun and deer generally don't like it. There are several
varieties including a compact and an "Edward Goucher". They are excellent
evergreen shrubs that take the sun and have a longer blooming period than
Indian Hawthorne. They bloom all summer and they are also much more cold
hardy.

Deer are unpredictable creatures to say the least. I've planted all over
Austin and there are areas in which deer leave one type plant alone and
other areas where deer eat the same plant. One example is vinca major.
This is a very dependable ground cover that has been used successfully in
Lakeway for a long time. However I have had reports from people that they
used it in Westlake and the deer ate it up.

Another interesting phenomenon I observed was with Salvia Gregii. On one
site off Lost Creek Blvd. I used both red and white. I used the red in
greater abundance and the white for a bit of variety. The deer ignored the
white completely but pestered the red to death. It seems that they don't
like the salvia but they will attempt to eat the red gregii until it gets
established - if you can get it established.

I say this because Abelias have always been a good plant that the deer leave
alone. But that doesn't mean that they won't try it out of curiosity when
you first plant it. This seems to be true for a number of different plant
materials.

There are a large number of plant materials that the deer leave alone but I
usually recommend Abelia as a substitute for Indian Hawthorne because it is
also evergreen and blooms in a similar fashion. The growth habit is not as
compact but rather is more loose and graceful, but the leaves are dark green
and evergreen and they can be kept at roughly the same size depending on the
variety you use.

Good Luck,

Al Hanke

Old 19-05-2003, 03:44 AM
Wayne Dyer

Thanks for the pointers -- this week we go shopping for replacements.

-W-

Old 19-05-2003, 01:44 PM
Marc Stephenson

In article ,
Al Hanke wrote:

"Wayne Dyer" wrote in message
newsan.2003.05.17.16.38.03.164816@nospampleas e-foobox.com...

But, we did something that in hindsight was stupid, but we're learning --
we put out indian hawthorne in an area where deer are about. Took us a
few days to realize it wasn't some problem with the plants, but the
hoofprints in the mulch gave it away. This afternoon I'm pulling the
plants so they'll move elsewhere.

Thing is, we need to put in something that likes full sun, preferably with
some color and drought tolerant, that the deer won't mess with. I've
already hit the TAMU site for derr-resistant plants, but they don't have
pictures. :-(

The Grow Green Austin site has pictures.

Any suggestions?

-W-

Another interesting phenomenon I observed was with Salvia Gregii. On one
site off Lost Creek Blvd. I used both red and white. I used the red in
greater abundance and the white for a bit of variety. The deer ignored the
white completely but pestered the red to death. It seems that they don't
like the salvia but they will attempt to eat the red gregii until it gets
established - if you can get it established.

I haven't really had many problems (relatively) with the red variety (in Lost
Creek). If you're in a heavily deer-populated area, you simply can't have Indian
Hawthorne.

Basically, you're looking for smelly and pointy. Salvias/sages are likely
winners, and you can get plenty of colors (salvia greggii - red, white, yellow, pink,
coral, hot pink, raspberry, grape, "diane"). They can get leggy/woody/thin
if you don't prune them back often enough.

Generally, if you can't smell it and you can grab it without hurting yourself, the
deer are likely to eat it.

Abelia does look a lot like Indian Hawthorne and it is on the deer resistant
lists, but it's not on the grow green list. I've seen it described as a
medium-water usage plant - maybe it's too high to be recommended for here?
--
Marc Stephenson IBM Systems Group - Austin,TX
T/L: 678-3189
Old 19-05-2003, 10:56 PM
Texensis

"Marc Stephenson" wrote in message
snip|
| Abelia does look a lot like Indian Hawthorne and it is on the deer
resistant
| lists, but it's not on the grow green list. I've seen it described
as a
| medium-water usage plant - maybe it's too high to be recommended for
here?
| --
| Marc Stephenson IBM Systems Group - Austin,TX
| T/L: 678-3189

I've seen it around town along sunbeaten rights-of-way and in
neighbors' front yards, receiving no water that doesn't come from the
sky or special care, yet attracting honeybees and butterflies and
looking attractive with no help.

Old 20-05-2003, 01:32 AM
Marc Stephenson

In article ,
Texensis wrote:

"Marc Stephenson" wrote in message
snip|
| Abelia does look a lot like Indian Hawthorne and it is on the deer
resistant
| lists, but it's not on the grow green list. I've seen it described
as a
| medium-water usage plant - maybe it's too high to be recommended for
here?
| --
| Marc Stephenson IBM Systems Group - Austin,TX
| T/L: 678-3189

I've seen it around town along sunbeaten rights-of-way and in
neighbors' front yards, receiving no water that doesn't come from the
sky or special care, yet attracting honeybees and butterflies and
looking attractive with no help.

Sounds good. I found it listed as a "water-efficient" plant in a
Texas Association of Nurserymen "Outstanding Texas Landscape Plants" brochure
that I hadn't looked at in a while. Sun/part shade, Evg./Dec - 4' x 4'.
Bell-shaped flowers during the summer and fall.
Looks an awful lot like an Indian Hawthorn in the little picture, so looks
like a good choice for the original poster. I wonder why "Grow Green" doesn't
like it (and it's not because it's non-native - they have plenty of
non-natives).

I'm also curious about what quality it has that deer don't like.
Old 20-05-2003, 12:44 PM
Texensis

,
| Texensis wrote:
|
| "Marc Stephenson" wrote in message
| snip|
| | Abelia does look a lot like Indian Hawthorne and it is on the
deer
| resistant
| | lists, but it's not on the grow green list. I've seen it
described
| as a
| | medium-water usage plant - maybe it's too high to be recommended
for
| here?
| | --
| | Marc Stephenson IBM Systems Group -
Austin,TX
| | T/L:
678-3189

| I've seen it around town along sunbeaten rights-of-way and in
| neighbors' front yards, receiving no water that doesn't come from
the
| sky or special care, yet attracting honeybees and butterflies and
| looking attractive with no help.
|

| Sounds good. I found it listed as a "water-efficient" plant in a
| Texas Association of Nurserymen "Outstanding Texas Landscape Plants"
brochure
| that I hadn't looked at in a while. Sun/part shade, Evg./Dec - 4' x
4'.
| Bell-shaped flowers during the summer and fall.
| Looks an awful lot like an Indian Hawthorn in the little picture, so
looks
| like a good choice for the original poster. I wonder why "Grow
Green" doesn't
| like it (and it's not because it's non-native - they have plenty of
| non-natives).
|
| I'm also curious about what quality it has that deer don't like.
| --
| Marc Stephenson IBM Systems Group - Austin,TX
| T/L: 678-3189

I haven't had interested visitors lately, so haven't been near the old
land office on the capitol grounds, but there used to be a healthy
specimen there below the retaining wall right next to the curb. People
use it all over town for hedges. It looks best in its natural form,
but some people just can't resist trying to make it blocky instead of
fountainlike. Some gets quite tall.

Old 24-05-2003, 04:32 PM
Carol Adams

Crape myrtle would work well for your purpose, as would mountain laurel or a
desert willow. I have all of these (and have had them for years), and the
deer leave them completely alone.

carol

Old 27-05-2003, 10:44 AM
Marc Stephenson

In article ,
Thomas Neumayr wrote:
I'm a novice gardener. Can you provide me with the link to the TAMU site?
Thanks,

http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/p...ions/deer.html

Here's another list:
http://www.npsot.org/plant_lists/deer_resistant.html