Old 19-05-2003, 04:08 PM
dragonthief

Default What do I do with this Hibiscus?

wrote in message . ..
I have a tropical Hibiscus that I tried to save during the cold
winter, but it did not fare too well. The bush is about 3 feet high
and most of its foliage is brown or gone - probably all dead.
However, I do have some small green 'sprouts' showing on the lower
parts of the 'limbs'. I am feeding it Miracle Grow to try to help it.

My question is - should I let it go? Should I prune it? If so, how
much?

Thanks

Hi Yup (all jokes resisted)

I'm not exactly an expert, but I have a hibiscus at home. A couple of
years ago it started behaving very weirdly, dropping leaves and
shrivelling up certain limbs. One day, in a kill or cure frenzy, I
hacked it down to about six inches, keeping only the three stems I
liked the look of best. Since then it has grown slowly but inexorably.
It flowered last year (which made me happy) but I'm still not entirely
satisfied with the shape. I have also found that Hibiscus is
particularly intolerant of central heating, so overwinter it in an
unheated room if you can.

M.