Old 19-05-2003, 10:44 AM

Default What do I do with this Hibiscus?

I have a tropical Hibiscus that I tried to save during the cold
winter, but it did not fare too well. The bush is about 3 feet high
and most of its foliage is brown or gone - probably all dead.
However, I do have some small green 'sprouts' showing on the lower
parts of the 'limbs'. I am feeding it Miracle Grow to try to help it.

My question is - should I let it go? Should I prune it? If so, how
much?

Thanks
Old 19-05-2003, 02:56 PM

On Mon, 19 May 2003 09:34:14 GMT, wrote:

I have a tropical Hibiscus that I tried to save during the cold
winter, but it did not fare too well. The bush is about 3 feet high
and most of its foliage is brown or gone - probably all dead.
However, I do have some small green 'sprouts' showing on the lower
parts of the 'limbs'. I am feeding it Miracle Grow to try to help it.

My question is - should I let it go? Should I prune it? If so, how
much?

Thanks

It helps to know where you're located but from your description I'd
say what you're seeing is fairly typical of tropical Hibiscus.

Winter in many areas tends to kill everything above ground that hasn't
been protected in some manner while the root system remains alive and
intact. The fact that you're seeing growth indicates the root system
is still very much alive. Since this is a TROPOICAL plant and, as
such, desires a "tropical" environment, your Hibiscus may just now be
getting the proper amount of daily warmth it needs to recover from the
harshness of winter.

Prune and eliminate all of the dead wood and let the plant grow. It
will take some time before you see blooms again but it should
eventually return to what is was before winter set in. In the fall
consider protecting the plant from the cold and the wind. The more
growth you are able to keep protected, the more you'll have to start
the following spring. Miracle Grow may not be the best food for your
Hibiscus. Look for something with a mix similar to 18-10-28.

Reply Address Purposly Altered to eliminate SPAM
Reply by Post Only Please

[IMG] code is On

Yellow hibiscus 23 Paddy's Pig[_3_] Garden Photos 0 04-04-2009 01:05 AM
Hibiscus-2656 Maroochy Garden Photos 4 01-04-2009 01:11 AM
hibiscus bushes alicia Gardening 1 01-09-2003 04:12 PM
Hibiscus seeds TakeThisOut Gardening 2 20-03-2003 03:44 PM
Hibiscus pruning T.L.Miller Gardening 0 26-01-2003 01:54 PM