Old 19-05-2003, 07:08 PM
ann in houston

Default Is it too late to buy lotus?

ESPMER (K30a) wrote in message ...
Hi Ann,
I don't think it is too late.
Here in SE WA, zone 7, my lotus doesn't
usually send up a pad until the end of May.

I have never had a lotus bloom for

me,
You say you are in a courtyard/garden room.
Do you get enough sun in there?

k30a

Good question. I went out and took another look at the spot I had
picked out and it all depends on whether I put up the trellis that I
had planned to define that end of the area. The space opens up to
the west, but it is narrow-only 13' wide. The alternate plan is to do
some full-sun decorating on the back patio, which is bare and ugly at
the moment. I just had a very imformative talk with the owner of Iris
City Gardens and found out I have to wait to do the irises I pictured,
not knowing they require full sun, and have to be planted in the early
fall. So, the patio is the newly imagined site for the irises, and
there's no reason not to do a lotus back there too, to brighten that
area. I'll still do a tub with something in it, but it may be mostly
goldfish. I can surely find something that tolerates dappled
shade/sun to go in there with the goldies. Suggestions welcome, of
course.
Ann