Old 19-05-2003, 03:44 PM
ann in houston

Default Is it too late to buy lotus?

I am planning a courtyard/garden room area and would like to do a
lotus tub. Is it too late? I could deal with it if it didn't bloom
until next year, but I'd be more willing to spend the money if it
could bloom this summer. Our hot season is so long here, that I am
hoping I have a chance at this. I have never had a lotus bloom for
me, but I usually never get the idea, or the money very early in the
season. Also, will the lots have to be planted, or have I seen people
here say that they just sink them in water and fertilize them?
TIA,
Ann
Old 19-05-2003, 03:56 PM
K30a

Hi Ann,
I don't think it is too late.
Here in SE WA, zone 7, my lotus doesn't
usually send up a pad until the end of May.

I have never had a lotus bloom for

me,
You say you are in a courtyard/garden room.
Do you get enough sun in there?

k30a
Old 19-05-2003, 05:08 PM
Nedra

Hi there Ann! Good to see another familiar face.
As for lotus ... I think Terry grows them in your neck
of the woods. I do know that they don't need as much
soil as we were lead to believe...years ago. Just don't plant
it/them very deep... couple of inches of water over the tuber
is about all that's required.
I would check around the nurseries there in Houston and see
what they have.

Terry....?? where the dickens are ya' ?

Nedra

Old 19-05-2003, 07:20 PM
KenCo

ann in houston wrote:

I am planning a courtyard/garden room area and would like to do a
lotus tub. Is it too late? I could deal with it if it didn't bloom
until next year, but I'd be more willing to spend the money if it
could bloom this summer. Our hot season is so long here, that I am
hoping I have a chance at this. I have never had a lotus bloom for
me, but I usually never get the idea, or the money very early in the
season. Also, will the lots have to be planted, or have I seen people
here say that they just sink them in water and fertilize them?
TIA,
Ann

if interested,

I have some asst. Lotus tubers that will be
Yellow, White or Pink sm./med. sized adult.
(some are Chuwan Basu & Mrs. Perry Slocum)

$15.00 ea.

--
http://www.kencofish.com Ken Arnold,
401-781-9642 cell 401-225-0556

Please Note: No trees or animals were harmed in the
sending of this contaminant free message We do concede
that a signicant number of electrons may have been
inconvenienced.

Old 20-05-2003, 10:08 PM
Ted

Ann,

I too am in Houston. I transplant my iris' just about all year and have no
problem with them. You just wont get blooms until next spring again. I have
some yellow Louisiana iris that I have dug up if you are interested. What
part of town, I am in League City.

"ann in houston" wrote in message
om...
ESPMER (K30a) wrote in message

Hi Ann,
I don't think it is too late.
Here in SE WA, zone 7, my lotus doesn't
usually send up a pad until the end of May.

I have never had a lotus bloom for

me,
You say you are in a courtyard/garden room.
Do you get enough sun in there?

k30a

Good question. I went out and took another look at the spot I had
picked out and it all depends on whether I put up the trellis that I
had planned to define that end of the area. The space opens up to
the west, but it is narrow-only 13' wide. The alternate plan is to do
some full-sun decorating on the back patio, which is bare and ugly at
the moment. I just had a very imformative talk with the owner of Iris
City Gardens and found out I have to wait to do the irises I pictured,
not knowing they require full sun, and have to be planted in the early
fall. So, the patio is the newly imagined site for the irises, and
there's no reason not to do a lotus back there too, to brighten that
area. I'll still do a tub with something in it, but it may be mostly
goldfish. I can surely find something that tolerates dappled
shade/sun to go in there with the goldies. Suggestions welcome, of
course.
Ann

Old 21-05-2003, 12:56 AM
ann in houston

if interested,

I have some asst. Lotus tubers that will be
Yellow, White or Pink sm./med. sized adult.
(some are Chuwan Basu & Mrs. Perry Slocum)

$15.00 ea.

Hi Ken,
Hmmmm. Are any of them fragrant?
Old 21-05-2003, 02:44 AM
Nedra

Ann, I'm not Ken ... but Mrs Perry D. Slocum will perfume
the entire yard.
The 2nd website below is all about my lotus pond. Most all
my lotuses are Chawan Basu and MPDS... Have a peek.

Nedra

Old 21-05-2003, 04:56 AM
ann in houston

"Ted" wrote in message . ..
Ann,

I too am in Houston. I transplant my iris' just about all year and have no
problem with them. You just wont get blooms until next spring again. I have
some yellow Louisiana iris that I have dug up if you are interested. What
part of town, I am in League City.

Now that you mention it, I seem to remember you from a summer or two
ago. I am in Pearland. And, yes, I would appreciate the irises. I
didn't say it right, but I knew that I *could* plant them now, but I
didn't know that they wouldn't ship them until Sept. because they
don't pull them up while they are blooming. I'll drop you an email,
because the one that is tied to Google is old and inactive. Isn't
there a pond nursery in League City, now? I think I remember seeing a
billboard for one on 518. Anyway, thanks for the flowers. We'll be
talking.
Ann
Old 21-05-2003, 02:56 PM
KenCo

ann in houston wrote:

if interested,

I have some asst. Lotus tubers that will be
Yellow, White or Pink sm./med. sized adult.
(some are Chuwan Basu & Mrs. Perry Slocum)

$15.00 ea.

Hi Ken,
Hmmmm. Are any of them fragrant?

no clue except what Nedra wrote.

I got these in trade and there
supposed to only get 4-6' tall.

Old 21-05-2003, 03:32 PM
ann in houston

Thanks, Nedra
When I first posted this question, I was thinking it was you that
would most likely answer as the Resident Lotus Queen. I enjoyed your
pictures. Which type of flower is the bloom on Mrs. Perrry D.
Slocum?(I wish they wouldn't make the names so long. "Ma Slocum"
would have been my choice)Do you have one of those in your collection?
I'd like to look at your pics again if you do and see what that one
looks like.

Old 21-05-2003, 06:08 PM
Nedra

lol Annnn ... VBG - I have the lotus pictures labeled...
Mrs. Perry D. Slocum or MPDS! Any time you see MPDS you know it is a Mrs.
Perry D. Slocum.

Nedra

"ann in houston" wrote in message
om...
Thanks, Nedra
When I first posted this question, I was thinking it was you that
would most likely answer as the Resident Lotus Queen. I enjoyed your
pictures. Which type of flower is the bloom on Mrs. Perrry D.
Slocum?(I wish they wouldn't make the names so long. "Ma Slocum"
would have been my choice)Do you have one of those in your collection?
I'd like to look at your pics again if you do and see what that one
looks like.

Ann, I'm not Ken ... but Mrs Perry D. Slocum will perfume
the entire yard.
The 2nd website below is all about my lotus pond. Most all
my lotuses are Chawan Basu and MPDS... Have a peek.

Is it too late to buy ladybirds? Mentalguy2k8[_2_] United Kingdom 7 03-09-2010 05:41 PM
How late is too late? ZeroWing North Carolina 3 20-06-2005 12:24 AM
How late is too late? FBCS Ponds 12 29-08-2003 01:04 AM
Help! Brown lawn. Too short, Too long, Too much water or Too lois Lawns 0 27-08-2003 03:24 AM