Old 19-05-2003, 10:44 PM
Nonya

Default Fertilizer...

Thanks...

I try to hold true that moderation is the key to everything! I only use
fertilizer to establish root growth in my veggie garden and maintain a more
natural soil by using my own compost materials. I just wanted to make sure
that "synthesized" fertilizer dosn't contain anything "unnatural," other
than the N-P-K components. I appreciate the feedback.
Scott

"Pam" wrote in message

Nonya wrote:

I have a neighbor who is into organic foods and she has seen me
fertilizing my stuff with fertilizer. Just your typical Miracle grow
stuff. From what I know, all it is is proportions of
nitrogen/phosphorus/potatsium (I.E. 10-45-10). I explained to her that

it is
basically like giving the plants vitamins, and that there should be no

cause
for concern when using it. Am I correct?
Thanks,
Scott

Miracle Gro (and other "blue water" fertilizers) are chemically

synthesized
products. While there should be little, if any, health concerns about

eating
food crops that are fertilized by this method, they cannot be considered
"organic", which requires NO chemical additives of any kind.

FWIW, most chemical fertilizers tend to be quick release, providing

nutrients in
a manner like plant junk food - a sugar high, but no sustainable long term
benefits. Much better to use natural (or organic) ferts, which by nature

are
slow release - the nutrients are made available to plants over a longer

period
of time as they need them. Better long term results with no heavy flushes

of
lush growth that is vulnerable to insects and diseases. With the exception

of
containerized plantings and regular veggie gardens where nutrients are

rapidly
depleted due to frequent cropping and harvesting, improved soil and very

little
supplemental fertilizing is the way to go. We gardeners tend to over do

the
whole fertilizer thing........