Old 20-05-2003, 12:32 AM
Chip G.

Default Poison Ivy -- Getting Rid of It -systemic killers

In article , Pam
wrote:

My buddy at work suggested spraying gasoline on the plants. He said
this would dissolve the urushioil(sp?) and kill the plant. I am kind
of leery due to the potential fire hazard. Any thoughts?

I would consider this pretty poor advice. Regardless of the fire hazard
(which is considerable), one would have to be pretty darn precise with
the spraying to make sure there was no contamination of desirable
plantings or runoff onto the ground, which WILL kill soil biota and make
future plantings iffy at best. There are products registered for this
type of application - Roundup, Brush-be-Gone, Brush and Balckberry
Blocker, etc., if manual removal is too difficult. Home remedies like the
gasoline are frought with too many unfavorable side effects to be a
serious consideration.

Not to mention the fact that organizations like the EPA might have some
things to say about it. Round-up seems to be the heavy favorite by just
about everyone. I purchased some today. Not cheap stuff, but if it does
the job it'll be worth every penny.

--
--Chip
remove dots in prefix to fix email address