Old 20-05-2003, 01:32 AM
Marc Stephenson

Default indian hawthorne alternative?

In article ,
Texensis wrote:

"Marc Stephenson" wrote in message
snip|
| Abelia does look a lot like Indian Hawthorne and it is on the deer
resistant
| lists, but it's not on the grow green list. I've seen it described
as a
| medium-water usage plant - maybe it's too high to be recommended for
here?
| --
| Marc Stephenson IBM Systems Group - Austin,TX
| T/L: 678-3189

I've seen it around town along sunbeaten rights-of-way and in
neighbors' front yards, receiving no water that doesn't come from the
sky or special care, yet attracting honeybees and butterflies and
looking attractive with no help.

Sounds good. I found it listed as a "water-efficient" plant in a
Texas Association of Nurserymen "Outstanding Texas Landscape Plants" brochure
that I hadn't looked at in a while. Sun/part shade, Evg./Dec - 4' x 4'.
Bell-shaped flowers during the summer and fall.
Looks an awful lot like an Indian Hawthorn in the little picture, so looks
like a good choice for the original poster. I wonder why "Grow Green" doesn't
like it (and it's not because it's non-native - they have plenty of
non-natives).

I'm also curious about what quality it has that deer don't like.