Old 20-05-2003, 01:56 AM
Gail Futoran

Default Suckers: Why remove them?

"GamePlayer No. 1058" wrote in message
news:c5d0c8e6490b67e8d1b9ffee360db9e7@TeraNews...
This also explains the mystery "wild" rose climber that

grew up in my yard 2
years ago. I used to have a yellow climber near where

this one came up, and
my tennants at the time said the yellow bush blew down in

a violent wind
storm, 2 years later this pathetic looking twig slightly

resembling a rose
came out near where the old one used to be. Must be a

sucker that grew out
of the ground of the root of the original rose. Now it's

bushy as all can
be and 12 to 20 feet long on the longest stem, and covers

a trellis around
my patio now. Now I know where it came from.

I've let a couple of rootstocks grow before I
knew enough to keep them from taking over
the grafted rose. Several never produced
flowers. One (since ID'd as Dr. Huey) did,
and I transplanted it near a shed. Had my hubby
build a planting box and trellis for it to replace
the plastic container I had tossed it into.
Now, several years later, it produces a lovely
spring bloom that lasts for several months and
really spruces up the shed.

But it depends on whether you have the space
and like the bloom/blooming period. If not,
take it out and plant something you do like.

Gail
San Antonio TX Zone 8