Old 20-05-2003, 02:20 AM
Warren

Default Fertilizer...

Nonya wrote:
I have a neighbor who is into organic foods and she has seen me
fertilizing my stuff with fertilizer. Just your typical Miracle grow
stuff. From what I know, all it is is proportions of
nitrogen/phosphorus/potatsium (I.E. 10-45-10). I explained to her that

it is
basically like giving the plants vitamins, and that there should be no

cause
for concern when using it. Am I correct?

Basically, you're correct. Assuming that you're applying at or below the
levels in the package instructions. I certainly would have no problem
eating vegetables that have been given Miracle Grow.

On the other hand, they're no longer what you could call "organic". If
that's a big deal to your neighbor, then it sounds to me like you won't
have to worry about her stealing anything from your garden!

Without getting into minute details, everyone has their own level of
tolerance for use of chemicals on various plants. Some people think that
the key is the chemicals, and some people think the key is to never use
anything non-organic. As for myself, I believe that one should start
with an organic approach, and stray only when necessary, or desirable to
reach specific goals. How one applies this philosophy to various
situations (lawn, flowers, vegetables, trees, etc.) may be very
different, and I'm much more careful about what I use on or near
anything I plan to eat.

I'm not a fan of extremism. You might say I'm extremely against
extremism.

--
Warren H.

to go outside now.