Old 20-05-2003, 03:44 AM
Gyve Turquoise

Default Cherry Trees

"tippy1" wrote in message
About 7 years ago I planted a black cherry tree thinking my sour cherry
tree would pollinate it. It bloomed wonderfully but never got
pollinated. Then about three years ago someone told me about type of
cherry tree that would pollinate it. Well last year the black cherry
blossomed fully but the other tree didn't until after the blossoms fell
from the black cherry. This year I was hoping they would blossom
together to get the pollination, but neither one ever blossomed at all.
What's going on and what do I need to get them to produce.?

As far as I know, acid cherries won't pollinate sweet cherries. Also the
pollination requirements of sweet cherry trees are notoriously complicated
and you need to check your types. I've got a sweet cherry in a pot which
bloomed this year. It's called a "Napoleon". My neighbour has a "Satoo
Nishiki" cherry tree and "Napoleon" pollinates his "Satoo Nishiki" tree, so
this year for the first time in my memory he's got cherries on his tree.
However "Satoo Nishiki" doesn't pollinate "Napoleon" so my tree is
fruitless, and I have to get another tree to pollinate mine. I'm thinking of
top-grafting his S.N. onto my Napoleon but I'm not sure if it's possible.

By the way the good news is that there are also some self-pollinating cherry
trees.