Old 20-05-2003, 01:08 AM
tippy1

Default Cherry Trees

About 7 years ago I planted a black cherry tree thinking my sour cherry
tree would pollinate it. It bloomed wonderfully but never got
pollinated. Then about three years ago someone told me about type of
cherry tree that would pollinate it. Well last year the black cherry
blossomed fully but the other tree didn't until after the blossoms fell
from the black cherry. This year I was hoping they would blossom
together to get the pollination, but neither one ever blossomed at all.
What's going on and what do I need to get them to produce.?
--

Squire
Old 20-05-2003, 03:44 AM
Gyve Turquoise

"tippy1" wrote in message
About 7 years ago I planted a black cherry tree thinking my sour cherry
tree would pollinate it. It bloomed wonderfully but never got
pollinated. Then about three years ago someone told me about type of
cherry tree that would pollinate it. Well last year the black cherry
blossomed fully but the other tree didn't until after the blossoms fell
from the black cherry. This year I was hoping they would blossom
together to get the pollination, but neither one ever blossomed at all.
What's going on and what do I need to get them to produce.?

As far as I know, acid cherries won't pollinate sweet cherries. Also the
pollination requirements of sweet cherry trees are notoriously complicated
and you need to check your types. I've got a sweet cherry in a pot which
bloomed this year. It's called a "Napoleon". My neighbour has a "Satoo
Nishiki" cherry tree and "Napoleon" pollinates his "Satoo Nishiki" tree, so
this year for the first time in my memory he's got cherries on his tree.
However "Satoo Nishiki" doesn't pollinate "Napoleon" so my tree is
fruitless, and I have to get another tree to pollinate mine. I'm thinking of
top-grafting his S.N. onto my Napoleon but I'm not sure if it's possible.

By the way the good news is that there are also some self-pollinating cherry
trees.

Old 20-05-2003, 07:08 AM
HCN

"tippy1" wrote in message
About 7 years ago I planted a black cherry tree thinking my sour cherry
tree would pollinate it. It bloomed wonderfully but never got
pollinated. Then about three years ago someone told me about type of
cherry tree that would pollinate it. Well last year the black cherry
blossomed fully but the other tree didn't until after the blossoms fell
from the black cherry. This year I was hoping they would blossom
together to get the pollination, but neither one ever blossomed at all.
What's going on and what do I need to get them to produce.?

Well, the trick is as you noticed is to get them to flower at the same time.
If you take note when the tree is in bloom, then you can use this
information to get a possible pollinater.

Though that is one reason why I got a self pollinater (Stella)... now my
biggest problem is birds.

Old 20-05-2003, 07:08 PM
Marley1372

sour cherries are self fertile and do not need pollinizers. They also do not
pollinize sweet cherries

I'm thinking of
top-grafting his S.N. onto my Napoleon but I'm not sure if it's possible.

"top" grafting refers to grafting at the top of a standard, as opposed to
"bottom" or bud grafting, which is grafted at the base of the plant. This
wouldnt be possible because your plant has already been grafted. You could try
to graft buds from the other tree on you yours, but it would be way easier to
spend 30 bucks and get a second tree.

Toad

Old 22-05-2003, 02:20 PM
Gyve Turquoise

"Marley1372" wrote in message
sour cherries are self fertile and do not need pollinizers. They also do

not
pollinize sweet cherries

I'm thinking of
top-grafting his S.N. onto my Napoleon but I'm not sure if it's possible.

"top" grafting refers to grafting at the top of a standard, as opposed to
"bottom" or bud grafting, which is grafted at the base of the plant. This
wouldnt be possible because your plant has already been grafted.

My RHS encyclopedia of gardening does suggest that grafting twice is not
only possible but in fact necessary for some species. Is this not possible
at all for sweet cherries?

You could try
to graft buds from the other tree on you yours, but it would be way easier

spend 30 bucks and get a second tree.

I don't need to spend 30 bucks, only about 600 yen (about 5 bucks) for
another cherry tree. Actually I was worried about the eventual size of the
tree more than the cost because I'd heard that the trees can grow very big.
Anyway today I was chatting to some people who have two twenty-five year old
cherry trees in their garden, and they said that their trees are only about
two metres high. Perhaps the common Japanese cherry trees are on dwarfing
rootstocks? The places I go to don't have much information about the trees
they sell. I bought two apple trees a few years ago not realising they were
on dwarfing rootstocks.

Old 22-05-2003, 04:08 PM
Martin C. Jensen

Gyve Turquoise wrote:

"Marley1372" wrote in message
sour cherries are self fertile and do not need pollinizers. They also do

not
pollinize sweet cherries

I'm thinking of
top-grafting his S.N. onto my Napoleon but I'm not sure if it's possible.

"top" grafting refers to grafting at the top of a standard, as opposed to
"bottom" or bud grafting, which is grafted at the base of the plant. This
wouldnt be possible because your plant has already been grafted.

My RHS encyclopedia of gardening does suggest that grafting twice is not
only possible but in fact necessary for some species. Is this not possible
at all for sweet cherries?

Most of the double grafting I've heard about is to produce a tree of a certain
size. But bud or scion grafting to the tree would certainly be possible. That
is how they produce trees with more than one variety of fruit on it. My mom and
I have trees we have planted just to graft different things to them. Most of
the trees are apple trees but why not try to graft to your tree and see what
happens. Experimenting can be fun and just maybe, rewarding also.

Marty