Old 20-05-2003, 04:56 AM
Frederick Burroughs

Default Are climbing roses more suseptable to disease?

"GamePlayer No. 1058" wrote:

The one climber that came up on it's own is full of mildew (I went to the
store and got some spray, then took a closer look at the climber, it's got
mildew all over the place).

I just purchased Awakening, a pinker version of New Dawn. Beautiful
deep green foliage and blood-red thorns. It was still in the pot,
neither planted or sprayed. All the other roses get sprayed regular
with... what is it? Funginex? Ortho brand of triforine? Diluted
from concentrate and applied with a pump pressure sprayer.

Anyway, here in the Shenandoah Valley of Virginia (zone 6, oak-hickory
forest) it's been sopping wet. Mildew city. All the planted roses
are clean and beautiful. But, that Awakening, still in the pot, went
from clean and bright to wrinkled and powdery; OVERNIGHT! The powdery
just exploded over it, like it was spray painted. So, it's
quarantined, still in the pot, dripping with fungicide.

The American Pillar, planted last year, is two-thirds up the corner of
the house, right next to the dryer vent exhaust. Sprayed regularly,
it is clean and reaching for the sky.

--
The lock upon my garden gate's a snail, that's what it is.

-Donovan's prescient response to homeland security.